Pre-Columbian gold pieces

jbwinship

Apr 16, 2012
KC Missouri area
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I might share a few pics of a couple of artifacts that I have.

100_0520.jpg

100_0523.jpg

On the second ear/nose piece, I am not sure if this is a finished casting or an initial casting before it was hammered to the desired shape. Most of the other ones I have seen are hammered flat with other designs added to the piece.

The top piece is very detailed.

Thanks for looking and sharing any thoughts about them.

Jeff

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Jeff,
The top piece is a nice example of Tumbaga from the Tairona Indians in the Santa Marta Mountains of Colombia. The piece is probably 500 years old.
Aquanut

OP
OP
J

jbwinship

Apr 16, 2012
KC Missouri area
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I kinda knew the region it came from. They were pretty good at lost wax casting, the detail is very fine. It has some green and pink oxidation (green from the copper content, not sure about the pink). I haven't tested gold content yet.

What do you think about the bottom pic. Do you think the piece was finished or not?
Thanks again,
Jeff

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks for the info. I kinda knew the region it came from. They were pretty good at lost wax casting, the detail is very fine. It has some green and pink oxidation (green from the copper content, not sure about the pink). I haven't tested gold content yet.

What do you think about the bottom pic. Do you think the piece was finished or not?
Thanks again,
Jeff
Sorry, I can't give an opinion from that one pic. Size?
Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions