Honduras tribal property

theonlinefisherman

Aug 10, 2012
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
I am a digger of stone, bone, coral, and shell.
I have a friend that was in Honduras during the civil and intra-cultural wars happening there forty years ago. He was working at the time for the CIA and was helping People come out of the forests where they had been hiding for almost seven years and build houses. He was with the people for more than three years and spoke something like a dozen different Ixli Languages. When he was about to leave, the elders took him to a collection of caves. He said that he will never forget the site. There had to be dozens of cave mouths. Outside of one of them there were three pots. They had been retrieved from inside one of those caves and set outside so the elders could offer him tobacco, some fruit, and those three pots. He has had them ever since.

I am a collector of American Indian artifacts. I am a professional writer and a lifetime collector - private both in my hunting efforts as well as in my collection efforts - of all things American. But in the last year I have somewhat come out of the closet, and am dramatically increasing my personal collection to leave to the grand kids. Because I have experience papering American stuff, I know that each arena has its own experts. In my youth, I, too, spent time in south America, in Peru and Bolivia, and although I saw things I will never forget, and had access to artifacts behind your wildest imaginations, I was in a position where I could not carry anything but my kit. The only thing I did bring back was a set of scorpion earnings that my daughter has. I really know nothing about central American stuff.

The reason I am here and telling me story is because I got onto the American artifacts forums and have made some good friends the, and clearly it offers the best of the best experts in the nation. So I gotta figure this forum is the same thing. And I need your help.

My friend is having health problems, and needs to lay his hands on cash. These three pieces are old. Only based on my fifty-odd years of experience handling old things, and knowing their full provenance, I estimate they are very very early Mayan. As in archaic, I assume. It is hard to say based on art quality, because the most beautiful stone weapons and tools are the ones made in the Paleo grottos. The dalton points still cannot be duplicated, and people have invented machines to try to simulate true Clovis flutes. Newer stuff is often crappy compared to what Fred Flintstone was making.

But these are ancient. And oh, so beautiful.

If I take good pictures and put them here, can you start the process of me selling them for him? I only need advice, and i am not truing to sell them here, but need to estimate their value, and most importantly know who I should pay to paper them. One of the intelligence people told Gary (my friend's name and mine, too) that the pieces were different ages, which I can see. The oldest one he said was likely in the 12,000 bp range, and the other two newer maybe 6,000 bp. Will you guys help us out? I have bought artifacts, but never sold one.

My email is [email protected] if you want to hit me privately.

And I hope I did not break any rules, I read them but like I said I never sold anything but a bicycle I could not ride anymore lol. So this is not a commercial thing other than the fact that I have traded and bartered ancient things, and he trusts I will talk to people who know their stuff :)

That is you.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread