Newbie in Virginia

qberliner

Feb 10, 2009
Hi Everyone,

We just moved to Virginia and I would love to take my boys relic hunting. I'm not looking to get rich, I just thought it would be fun to go dig up some Civil War bullets. The more I look into it, it seems like it is easy to break laws, upset people, or even just find a place to hunt. I would love to have some tips on where to start or where to go.

Thanks,
Quinn

Upvote 0

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
qberliner said:
Hi Everyone,

We just moved to Virginia and I would love to take my boys relic hunting. I'm not looking to get rich, I just thought it would be fun to go dig up some Civil War bullets. The more I look into it, it seems like it is easy to break laws, upset people, or even just find a place to hunt. I would love to have some tips on where to start or where to go.

Thanks,
Quinn
Try to do some research in your area. were there any engagements,encampments there? That's a good start.A lot of farmers may give permission to hunt there fields if approached correctly. Give it a try and i hope it works out for you :wink:

HH
G1 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Q

qberliner

Feb 10, 2009
Thanks! I appreciate the help. So do you think any inexpensive metal detector would do the trick or am I going to need a more expensive one?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As long as you're not around Culpepper a basic detector should be fine. For a starter machine I would strongly recommend one of the Tesoro machines, as they're lightweight (good for kids and adults), pinpoint better than anything I've ever used, and will teach you to recognize the differences in sound between trash and good stuff (you're going to need to dig everything at first anyway and if you find a site you're going to want to dig everything, even after you have experience). I'm in Alabama but I've done some hunting in VA and have been relic hunting for a few years now. Like the other guy said, research is key, so you know where to go. Then its a matter of getting permission. I find that it helps if you show up with one of the kids and explain that you're studying the Civil War and came across information on say, a camp that you're sure is on their land and you were hoping to get their permission to metal detect it to try and locate the camp, to recover some history- bullets, and bits and pieces from the civil war. Some people do not understand what relic hunting is. Offer to show them what you find and let them know that you always fill your holes and leave things just as you found it. You could probably throw in something about how valuable a history lesson it is for your boy(s). Also, the first contact be prepared for small talk and listening. You never know what kind of clues you'll pick up this way as well. Also, if you develop a good relationship with them it very well could lead to getting easy permission to hunt from their neighbor. You'd be surprised how many relic hunters I've hunted with that hated to do the permission thing and were actually missing out on other opportunities that can come of getting to know people that know something about the land that they're on. Good luck and post some of your finds.

Bill

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
qberliner,
welcome to the board.

Hope you and your family can enjoy the hobby.

Spend as much time as you can at this site; lots you
can pick up. Go over old posts. You will learn a lot
very fast. :thumbsup:

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Q

qberliner

Feb 10, 2009
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys! I feel like I'm heading in the right direction now. IF we find anything, I'll be sure to post.

Quinn

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where in VA are you? I might be able to point you in the right direction if I know the area.

Hutch

OP
OP
Q

qberliner

Feb 10, 2009
I live in Hampton, but I'm willing to travel any where in Hampton Roads if I need to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions