CW questions

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Our battle sites where there were large casualties are historic parks now, so you would never find remains at those types of sites. Also, after the war most remains were dug up and interred to graveayrds. Bodies were usually recovered after the fight and lots of them were actually shipped home to be buried by family.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have seen people find rifles and bayonnetes.as gribnitz said, most if not all of the war dead were recovered and buried either in cemetaries or in makeshift cemetaries on the battlefields that are now national parks.metal detecting is not permitted in any of the major civil war battlefields or otherwise historic sites.relic hunters need to find small skirmish sites and campsites located on private property. unfortunatly the united states government would rather let relics rot in the ground rather than to have them recovered.relic hunters are often treated like criminals.its sad really.it seems to me that the civil war relics would be more usefull in someones collection rather than underground, but everyone doesnt see it that way.

OP
OP
nahabit

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
hollowpointred said:
i have seen people find rifles and bayonnetes.as gribnitz said, most if not all of the war dead were recovered and buried either in cemetaries or in makeshift cemetaries on the battlefields that are now national parks.metal detecting is not permitted in any of the major civil war battlefields or otherwise historic sites.relic hunters need to find small skirmish sites and campsites located on private property. unfortunatly the united states government would rather let relics rot in the ground rather than to have them recovered.relic hunters are often treated like criminals.its sad really.it seems to me that the civil war relics would be more usefull in someones collection rather than underground, but everyone doesnt see it that way.

At you serious punishments for excavation in parks?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES LARGE MONEY EVEN JAIL

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
yes nahabit, big fines, the confiscation of all of the equipment you were using (metal detector, even your car!!). i have never heard of anyone doing jail time, but if you were a repeat offender or couldnt afford to pay the fine.....its possible. it is really frustrating knowing that places like antietum and gettysburgh are propably loaded with relics and no one is allowed to excavate them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
i have never heard of anyone doing jail time,

I Think it Depends on HOW Much they can Confiscate (Steal) from you when they catch you.
IF they Don't Make alot, stealing your Personal Possessions,
They MAY Fine you so Heavy you can't afford to pay.
OF course I think Most get off with a Slap on the Wrist, as Long as they Don't Fight for their Possessions back

OP
OP
nahabit

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
And we do not have interdictions on excavation where want there and dig:)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
nahabit said:
And we do not have interdictions on excavation where want there and dig:)

i sure do wish it was like that here. in my state, metal detecting is not allowed on any state owned land, whether it be a state park or state owned woods.only one exception and that is at state seashores where they will allow it.for some reason the polititians really seem to dislike anyone involved in metal detecting.it can be really tough trying to find interesting places to hunt. i have been trying to get permission from private land/home owners with mixed results. it can be a slow process though. maybe i just need to work harder at it! ;)

T

trouble1332

what if the battle site is bein stolen from the government and bein dug up and plowed over? there was a small skirmish at the little blue river in independence,mo and they're doin that. is that safe to metal detect and go through or would you need a permit for this type of thing?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
trouble1332 said:
what if the battle site is bein stolen from the government and bein dug up and plowed over? there was a small skirmish at the little blue river in independence,mo and they're doin that. is that safe to metal detect and go through or would you need a permit for this type of thing?

im not sure i understand your question. stolen from the government? ???

T

trouble1332

yeah hollow, theres a sign that says very plainly that the land bein plowed over is being stolen by the government. im not entire sure how that works either, but thats what the sign says. its the site of the battle of the little blue in independence,mo.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
oh stolen "by" the government. i would interpret that as the government owns the property which would make it off limits to hunt. maybe you can check the tax records on the parcel of land to see who owns it?

T

trouble1332

well, ya see, there's where the problem lies. the land in question is maybe 30 yards off the river bank. it was for sale for a while then nothin happened, nothin became of it. now, there's bulldozers and diggers and cranes just sittin there. they made it into a heavy equipment parkin lot. without that i'd step it off at about 70-75 yards of battlesite land.it's just sad to see.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trouble1332 said:
well, ya see, there's where the problem lies. the land in question is maybe 30 yards off the river bank. it was for sale for a while then nothin happened, nothin became of it. now, there's bulldozers and diggers and cranes just sittin there. they made it into a heavy equipment parkin lot. without that i'd step it off at about 70-75 yards of battlesite land.it's just sad to see.

You say "Stolen by the Government" do you mean "Emminant Domain" or "Back Taxes" ?
You say "Heavy Equipment Parking lot" State owned ? or Private Contractor "

either way you will need to go to someone on site and ask permission, and go from there.

Here Most likely, I would be told, "We can't give you permission because of Liability". at this point I would try and Expand on that as to "IF I just help myself what will you do ?" to find out if they are just covering their butts. or what.

unless the archies already threatened them, or are fighting them, I wouldn't see where you would be hurting anything.

RE: "IF I just help myself what will you do ?"
Please Don't interpret this wrong.

Don't ask this sounding like your Questioning authority.

ask it in a Friendly way.

emphases in "I" not on anything else.

maby even Explain, your Not Questioning his Authority, just trying to find out if you can without permission.

T

trouble1332

jeff, you're just full of shortcuts and ways around things. but i thought that eminent domain was for houses and businesses. this has no uses for either of those.and theres never anybody down there to ask, so i guess i'll take a walk by the river where theres still grass and be good. if someone picks me up on it, i'll just tell em i didn't know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trouble1332 said:
jeff, you're just full of shortcuts and ways around things. but i thought that eminent domain was for houses and businesses. this has no uses for either of those.and theres never anybody down there to ask, so i guess i'll take a walk by the river where theres still grass and be good. if someone picks me up on it, i'll just tell em i didn't know.

My take on "Eminent Domain" is IF the Government wants to use your land for whatever (Roads, Army Base, Swimming pool for the Prez, Whatever) , They Declair it & take it.

Your Idea Should work.

As long as there are not any Signs, I see no Harm.

Have fun !

Jeff

T

trouble1332

thanks alot jeff. i didn't know that the domain covered so much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions