Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: WV

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    2 times

WV

Anyone do any civil war hunting in West Virginia, looking for some good places to go which are few here

Jun 2012
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    cornell, What section of WV do you live? North South East West or Central. There are all kinds of treasures to search for in WV. Books by W.C. Jamison, Michael Paul Henson as well as the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion should give you some treasures in your area to search for?

Myself I have searched in Marlinton, WV for the Italian Payroll of about $15,000 in gold hid along the railroad tracks. I even found the cliff at the base of which it was reported buried but I did not find it. There is a bike and walk path there today instead of the railroad. If you go south of Marlinton on the east side of the river to the end of the road you will have to stop for this trail. Not more than a few hundred yards you can see the cliff on your left, then it is a wall of rock from there on.

There are at least three maybe more large caches hid near Buchannon, WV each of about $300,000 I have searched two times for this treasure and the one of $300,000 down near Shanhan, WV.

There are cannons lost in battles all over in southern and eastern WV as there were a lot of Civil War Battles back and forth across the mountain passes. A swell place to look for weapon caches in those passes.

There is a missing Civil War Payroll down near Chapmansville, WV that has never been found.
    Near this same area a man named Adkins hid over $200,000 in gold.
    Down near Pineville, WV there is a highwayman's treasure buried in town. I believe it is buried under the old Health Administration Building. The highwayman fell off of Castlerock either broke his neck or drowned.
    The Peddler's Cache in Leet, WV you can forget I searched for it two times. This treasure was recovered in 1934 when the gold was called it. The gold was cashed in at the First National Bank of Huntington, WV.

Then there are private home caches of rich logging families, coal operators, floods where treasure has been scattered.

WV is rich in treasures, depending on where you are and what you are looking for. I have searched for most of these treasures at one time or another. One time I searched for 10 treasures in ten days in three different states and drove over 2,600 miles. I plan on doing a lot more hunting. When I come up your way give me a PM and we can search together.
    Last edited by franklin; Jun 01, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

May 2012
    2 times
    Thanks Franklin, I'm in the southern part around the coal fields in Boone, I found there have been a couple battles around my area but have been built on by homes and a city and railroads. I'm pretty new to this and just got my first detector which is quick draw II. So far just fooled around in my yard which yielded a bunch of old nails, but so far am enjoying and my girlfriend does too, we both love the history of it. Yeah if your ever around my area close to Charleston maybe I could learn something and I appreciate the help. Have you had many good finds?

Jun 2012
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell349 View Post
    Thanks Franklin, I'm in the southern part around the coal fields in Boone, I found there have been a couple battles around my area but have been built on by homes and a city and railroads. I'm pretty new to this and just got my first detector which is quick draw II. So far just fooled around in my yard which yielded a bunch of old nails, but so far am enjoying and my girlfriend does too, we both love the history of it. Yeah if your ever around my area close to Charleston maybe I could learn something and I appreciate the help. Have you had many good finds?
    All of my finds are pending at least the larger one's are. I have dug several small caches of about pint size silver and gold caches. I love digging every signal you never know what you are going to find. An iron signal could be a baking soda can full of $20 gold coins or a two and one-half gallon pot of gold and silver. You never know but the most important thing in treasure hunting is never go home wondering I may have found this or that----dig and then you will know for sure and go home satisfied that there is no treasure at the location. If you don't I promise you that you will be making another and another useless trip. Do the detecting, dig up what you find and fill the holes back in. Good Luck.

PS You are near where Samuel Clemmins died then?

May 2012
    2 times
    Thanks, I've never heard of Samuel Clemons where was he and what did he do. I've got a few locations I can hunt locally and practice before I start the bigger places cause I wanna get used to my machine first and I'm gna make it a habit to dig everything. I'm mostly hunting in central Boone Co. on private land that has ridge lines untouched and a couple fields but no one knows what all is back there so it's gna be a shock to both of us if something is found. I figure it will be practice and even though I'm not for sure of there was actually any kind d of history in the area I'm gna hunt I know there have been a few families live around there and.you never know what they may have lost. You got any goos pointers, the digging every tone I think is a big help. Thanks

Jun 2012
    139 times
    My mistake I thought the Samuel Clemons from Bedford County, Virginia moved to near Charleston, WV and while building his cabins hit himself in the leg and bled to death. But I found out tonight that was another Samuel Clemons. The real Samuel Clemons called Mark Twain died in Conn. of a heart attack.

You will find treasure where people have been. Treasure can not be found if people have not been there, remember this in your searches.

May 2012
    2 times
    Ok I appreciate the tips, but on my opinion anything I find or dig is a good find. Hopefully find some good stuff but weather and work are playing a factor right now unfortunately. If your ever around the area just send me a message and are if we can find us a spot cause I'm 20 min from chapmanville if you think that would be good, thanks for the tips and good luck on your hunting and if possible show off some of your finds sometime

us
    Apr 2011
    Ohio
    Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    185 times
    Relic Hunting
    Hi Cornell, Huntington, WV here.

May 2012
    2 times
    Hi JmCraz8, Boone here, found anything good down your way

Jun 2012
    139 times
    Attachment 641789Attachment 641790
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell349 View Post
    Ok I appreciate the tips, but on my opinion anything I find or dig is a good find. Hopefully find some good stuff but weather and work are playing a factor right now unfortunately. If your ever around the area just send me a message and are if we can find us a spot cause I'm 20 min from chapmanville if you think that would be good, thanks for the tips and good luck on your hunting and if possible show off some of your finds sometime
    Good morning Cornell349, Here is a photo of some Confederate Coins I found Christmas 2009. I don't have them anymore I sold them with Certificate Numbers. Enjoy.Attachment 641788

I have photos of other coins I found on different days in the same area. All of these coins were found while I was on the trail of the Confederate Treasury.
    Last edited by franklin; Jun 02, 2012 at 09:48 AM.

May 2012
    2 times
    Man those are good finds, where did you find them and how deep, I like those alot and that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, great find

Jun 2012
    139 times
    Most of those coins were found in the hollow of a stump in Danville, Virginia. I posted a picture of the stump on TN ----the stump is no longer there. Be careful showing what you find-----your finds could lead you to a much larger treasure later. This way you can cut out your competition. I made that mistake 7 years ago and I won't do it again. Wait until you have searched out an area completely before you tell anyone else about it.

That stump was about thirty feet from where one of the trees that was shown on the History Channel about confederate gold, "Brad Meltzer's Decoded. But I had been there years before the History Channel aired.
    Last edited by franklin; Jun 02, 2012 at 11:17 AM.

May 2012
    2 times
    No kidding that's pretty neat, the property I'm gna hunt is private property and is 80 acres owned by my girlfriends family so.I won't be telling nobody. So your spot got hunted out before you could return? Thanks for info, unfortunately I'm a little doubtful I find anything good my first few times out but gna give it my best, but I just enjoy being out. Have you ever four d revolutionary war stuff or and any relics from civil war like knives or stuff

Jun 2012
    139 times
    Attachment 641843Cornell349, I have found so much I can not even speak of it. But, yes I have found different era coins and relics. You have to research and research hard to find such things as that. Sometimes luck will prevail though if you hunt long enough and hard enough.

These Civil War wagons were found in Georgia not to far from where the robbery of the Confederate Treasury funds at Chennault Crossroads. They made movies about this robbery on A&E History Channel and others.
    Last edited by franklin; Jun 02, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

May 2012
    2 times
    That's a good point, I've researched my local area where I live but ain't found much. The property I'm gna hunt is private property and has been lived for at least 100 yrs and has a field, I'm also thinkin maybe some troops marched through here possibly cause there was a battle just on the other side of the mtn and its in between a couple battles which was about 9 miles apart but slim chance but worth a try. I appreciate the tips, I'm gna try to do some research on the area and are what I can find, the library don't have much here so gotta turn to the net or somewhere else. Do you seek.your stuff or keep it when you find it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors