Archaeologists discover rare antebellum Southern tannery

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
ATLANTA - Along the wooded slopes of a small creek in central Georgia, archaeologists have discovered a rare site that they hope will help them understand everyday life and industry from the state's frontier days through the Civil War.

There's little glamour to the crumbling ruins of a 200-year-old tannery - where raw hides from deer, cattle and other animals were turned into leather for everything from shoes to holsters and saddles.

But archaeologists say that learning how it operated from its establishment in 1811 through the Civil War will give them insight into commerce and labor of a long-gone era.

"Up to the time of the Civil War, it is estimated that there were over 8,000 tanneries in existence in the United States, and yet we know little about them," said Daphne Owens Battle, an archaeologist with Cypress Cultural Consultants, the Beaufort, S.C., firm that is overseeing the excavation. "Only a handful of these sites have survived, and this is the only one we know of from this period in the South."

Until its demise in 1864 after Gen. Sherman's troops torched the area, the large Clinton Tannery and Bark Mill served locals and soldiers in the War of 1812, the Indian Wars and finally the Civil War.

Because of the stench from tanning hides, tanneries were built on the outskirts of settlements and most have been destroyed as towns grew outward. But Clinton "really died with the Civil War," said archaeologist Dan Battle. So the site is so undisturbed that excavations last month turned up a Union Army uniform button dropped there in 1864.

The structures are easy to spot despite overgrowing vegetation. There are seven vats where hides were cured in chemical solutions, a dam in the creek and a 9-foot stone grinding wheel that was used to turn tree bark into fine powder for tanning. Tannin, a natural plant chemical, helps make leather softer yet more resistant and each tannery jealously guarded the formula of its custom mix of tree bark.

The excavation of the site, now owned by the Old Clinton Historical Society, will take years.

___

http://www.jacksonville.com/apnews/stories/111306/D8LBM2K00.shtml

Upvote 0

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its in Clinton, I found my first CSA plate there in 90 The tannery was down the hill about 2 blocks from my plate.Next to Gen. Iversons house. General Iverson is the man who whuped Stoneman after he dared throw shells into the city of Macon. I have a piece of Reed shell that Iverson chucked back at em at Round Oak, along with a bunch of stuff the Yankees dropped on their skeedaddle to Jug Tavern (Winder).It was a running battle for about 60 miles. We'd rum em, they'd stop , en we'd run em sum mo. Lot of relics up that road. Hope ta head back that way in a few weeks to see what I missed. HH The pic has some of the stuff from the area of Clinton and Round Oak

Attachments

• Resized_DCP_0408.jpg
    Resized_DCP_0408.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Resized_DCP_0408.jpg
    Resized_DCP_0408.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 280

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.