Cannon in river

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In June of 1863 Joseph Wheeler's Cavalry was camped in Shelbyville Tn during the battle of Hoovers Gap. When the Yankees broke the line. The confederates retreated across the Duck River under heavy fire. While crossing the bridge they threw a cannon over the side where it said to still be in mud. Most of the confederates were so choked up trying to cross the bridge a lot had to jump in the rain swollen river. Even Joseph Wheeler and his cavalry had to plunge 15 feet off the bank on horse back.
I live less than a mile from this spot and its all housing accept for other side of river. I wonder if it would be legal to recover cannon. The old bridge is gone and a new bridge sits 50 yards down stream. You can see the other bridges supports. Has anybody hunted this spot or know anything else? Have to be a ton of relics in river.

Upvote 0

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure if that was that well documented it has been pounded. But you never know look down stream from the old bridge stuff tends to was down.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think it could be pounded very easy except for the top of the bluff. Its a straight dropoff. dont know how deep their fixing the other bridge right now so you really cant get in there. Its extremely difficult to even get to without a boat.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is it? You might take a boat or canoe on the Duck and use a strong magnet on a long extendable paint pole or something and probe for it. Even a sharp metal tip will show you the outline. I would check it for sure as you never know. You find it say nothing and think recovery. JMHO : ) Once loose from the mud things move easier under water.

OP
OP
bluehunter1973

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had that thought a few times my concern is if the TVA sticks their nose in it or the city of Shelbyville. I dont remind recovering it for the town for local history but I dont want the feds to be involved

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If TN is like anything like VA then it has been hit. Some people will do about anything to find relics. tresspass, sneak in at night. I have heard of people spying on others digging with bino's in the woods then go behind them and dig there spots out. good luck hope you find it! Heck I had a guy stop and talk to me and then showed up the next weekend with a truck full of people pounding a spot I have dug for years and only had a few other there over 5 years of digging that spot now lucky to find a bullet.

Last edited:

soky72

Jan 30, 2011
Southern Kentucky
Id say its a lost cause. Supposedly theres one in our local river and a friend of mine has laid hands on it. There is historical documentation that some fell into the river from a pontoon bridge there but I also know that one was pulled from the river by local officials in 1942 for metal for the war drive. My friends have researched it and they claim this cannon weighs in at around 1100 pounds with a slight bit of the back sticking out of the mud. They claim the government could claim it if they find out about it. I dont know if the claim is through the Corp of Engineers for archaeological purposes or just that its technically a piece that belongs to the government. If we have another drought this summer I am going to try and get some underwater shots of it, IF it does exist.

In June of 1863 Joseph Wheeler's Cavalry was camped in Shelbyville Tn during the battle of Hoovers Gap. When the Yankees broke the line. The confederates retreated across the Duck River under heavy fire. While crossing the bridge they threw a cannon over the side where it said to still be in mud. Most of the confederates were so choked up trying to cross the bridge a lot had to jump in the rain swollen river. Even Joseph Wheeler and his cavalry had to plunge 15 feet off the bank on horse back.
I live less than a mile from this spot and its all housing accept for other side of river. I wonder if it would be legal to recover cannon. The old bridge is gone and a new bridge sits 50 yards down stream. You can see the other bridges supports. Has anybody hunted this spot or know anything else? Have to be a ton of relics in river.

rebelfirefighter07

Jul 29, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
There is supposed to be one sticking out of the mud in the river south of Resac, Ga. I've talked with people who have said they have seen some of it during bad droughts.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way to know for sure is to go look for yourself in my opinion.. Best of luck..

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannon is all yours if you didnt find it on any state/national park. If the cannon is @ the bottom of the river over 150+ years it would more of less be 2-3 feet in the mud. :thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If found, it will be a huge accomplishment to get it out of the water. Probably have to use something like a tow truck or crane to get it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread