Locomotive Chase

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up in the Tunnel Hill GA area on business and stopped by the historical site , There seems to be large chunks of land near the tracks ect that might be worth a explore ---- as most would know the run started from BIG SHANTY ( now Kennasaw ) and ended in Tunnel Hill - It followed the Rail Road Tracks --- Just curious if anyones ever worked the trail --- I did speak to a property owner who was interested in maybe getting explored Just curious if anyone has ventured into the area --- I have enough to do down on this end was just wondering about a change or location getaway Thanks

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for so long in seeing this. My ggg uncle was the engineer of the General. Fuller. There is a new book out written about andrew raiders by Russell Bonds called stealing the General. I think I can get some info from it for a hunt. I rode in the train in the engine as a child and blew the whistle on its last run out of Tennessee. I disembarked in Graysville. Keep us updated. I have period pics of Tunnel hill and have hunted the area where Cleburne was and off 41 hwy.
Good luck in your hunts.
TnMtns

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you might find stuff there from the battle of tunnel hill, but I doubt you will find anything related to the locomotive chase.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The General is in in Kennesaw ga. Look up Andrews Raider and the great train chase. Disney made a movie about it. First medal of honor came from it to the Yankee raiders. haha

Great Locomotive Chase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting....and according to Shelbe Foote in Volume 1 of his narrative 'The Civil War', "Fuller and his associates received a vote of thanks from the Georgia legislature, but no medals. The Confederacy never had any, then or later".

...Every once in a while I like to dust off my copy Buster Keaton's version of 'The General'. :laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting....and according to Shelbe Foote in Volume 1 of his narrative 'The Civil War', "Fuller and his associates received a vote of thanks from the Georgia legislature, but no medals. The Confederacy never had any, then or later".

...Every once in a while I like to dust off my copy Buster Keaton's version of 'The General'. :laughing7:

I have seen that. It seems to have been popular .I thought it was funny also. History fades in time though and gets re written. I have hunted Tunnel Hill.

OP
OP
Citiboy289

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the Likes ------ I have read that the reason that the Chase ended there was because there was an encampment of Southern Troops near the tracks so hopefully some relics might remain, The property owner said that to his knowledge it has never been hunted . One of the reasons I moved moved down here from the AGRESSOR Nation, ( besides my spouses company relocating her ) was the vast amount of history in the area , MY BUDDIES AND i ARE HOPING TO GET TUNNEL HILL EXPLORED IN APRIL and then to our project along I 16 where William T marched to the sea ------ I will report any positive things --- Great History Here ----- Remenber that this July 1 - 4 is the 150 year since Gettysburg, and the 20th Maines Stand on Little Round Top ,

Last edited:

HistoryDetector

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2013
Appleton, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Union agents were sent to steal a train (the General)and wreck the tracks and burn the bridges to disrupt CSA movement, they were all captured and hung as spies.

OP
OP
Citiboy289

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update , We have been working the area on and off since May --- We have made some minor finds ( hooks , bullets and the usual odd stuff ), We are continuing our efforts and met a person who claims that on his property in Ringold which butts up to the battlefield is a stone foundation, which his family CLAIMED was a building that was used as a hospital ? We are heading that way in a few weeks to check that out, when we get all done we will post pictures, Just updating for those who have PMed me about the progress

civilwarguy

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2012
villa rica georgia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, tesoro tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just an update , We have been working the area on and off since May --- We have made some minor finds ( hooks , bullets and the usual odd stuff ), We are continuing our efforts and met a person who claims that on his property in Ringold which butts up to the battlefield is a stone foundation, which his family CLAIMED was a building that was used as a hospital ? We are heading that way in a few weeks to check that out, when we get all done we will post pictures, Just updating for those who have PMed me about the progress

If you need a hunting buddy sometime let me know. I am just getting into the civil war detecting and it is almost impossible to find areas around Atlanta.
You never know if you don't ask.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's The Battle Of Buzzards Roost ! We don't call it that around here but that is what it was called. We call it The Battle Of Rocky Face.The awesome thing about this battle is that W.T. Sherman never busted through ! Even with 98,000 soldiers , Sherman could not bust through Rocky Face Gap or what they called Buzzards Roost ! general Joe Johnston held him with only 60,000 troops. And Joe Johnston still stands today in downtown Dalton. If you put a machine on the ground within 5 miles of Tunnel Hill Georgia in any direction ...then you are on PRIME C.W. hunting ground. Keep that in mind. You dont have to say ...this hill looks good or that hill looks good...JUST HUNT ...you are there. As to The General...my family worked on the Western & Atlantic...the whole family ! They drove The General from time to time. I have a railroad watch that says Dalton Georgia on the face of it and was used on the General. Tnmountains and I are going to talk real soon !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted Buzzards roost last year. All the stone fortifications are still there. Amazing as it runs a long way on top of that ridge. No way could they take that steep hill. It is not for the faint of heart. I took a lot of pics of the different walls they built into the boulders. I came off grabbing one tree then another and my detector screamed. I held on to a tree and dug a fired 58.
It sounds like you are in some good spots around Ringgold. Be careful as you get closer to the park as the lines get hazy and you want to make sure you are always on the right side of park boundaries. We got to hunt Gordon Lee Mill on private property last year. The creeks floods a lot and many artifacts are 3 feet deep. We hunted a development in the city of Chickamauga and found some williams cleaners. Your best guide is the atlas of maps. It is a large book and gives many sites. I am water hunting tomorrow.
Good luck in all your hunts and be careful it is deer season.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay. A couple of things about this thread. The General was " caught up with " at a spot I drive past all the time. It is one mile north of Ringgold. The is a small monument there. It is not in Tunnel Hill. Its north of Ringgold toward Ooltewah. But before it gets to Ooltewah the rail bed turns west towards Grayville Ga and on into Chatt.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we all need to meet for a cup of coffee. just name a time , date and place.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a relic from the train from when it was refitted inKnoxville.Tn when Tennessee owned the train. We later lost the train in court to Georgia. We tried to hide it and it was in a chase once again. I was just a child but my uncles and cousins were thick as thieves in trying to keep it. Also here is a pic of my Aunt in period clothing with the train.

IMG_1139.jpg

photo.JPG

OP
OP
Citiboy289

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN what does the letter say under the 3? Does it have any connection

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a copy of a letter from Lee thanking the family for naming their child after him. It belongs to a friend whom is a decendant and is stored at a bank. It is an amazing letter to read. I found the Buzzard roost pics from earlier this season. I also found a lot of old negatives of the General I need to get printed. Stuff is fun. They are deer hunting around the roost right now so if you go be careful. I have permission to be on the land.
Did you hunt Clebournes position in Ringgold?

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to hunt that ridge at Tunnel Hill many many years ago. I have lost all contacts with land owners just up to recently when I met somebody who lives within sight of the tunnel. I asked him and he said , sure ! There are boys who go up on my hill all the time looking. So if you want to go , send a private message. I will blind fold you and have you swear an oath that you never hunt there unless you are with me. hahhah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread