Upvote 0

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look on the blade near the hilt for any markings, and post em also a few different angles would really help to identify it. Maybe a picture of the pommels end. These are the places I look when buying bayonnets so would assume it is the same for swords. Before you make any offer it is best to make sure its real. Tons of really good remakes and fakes out there and made along time ago so looking old dosn't help.

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Thanks;This was unadvertised and I was asked to look at it.I know the owners,so I don't think it's a scam.We'll know more later today!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the sword appears to be a 1840 model, artillery sword...
need length, blade and overall length, tang stamp...better photos...

why does everyone believe any old sword in the united states is confederate?

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Canyon,I don't think so.I did notice that the scabbard overlapped otherwise the blade looked rather crude.

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have been comfortable at $50 also even if its not genuine its worth that much as a conversation starter. Let us know whats up when you get your hands on it. Good luck!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe I know the specific identity of your sword. I sent you a Private Message about it, but got no reply from you. I hope you will see this message, and respond.

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, your guess is incorrect. It is definitely not a Model-1840 artillery sword.

I interpreted you post as a guess, because you said "appears to be." I do that myself, when I'm not 100% certain about the object which has been posted, some uncertainty being due to not enough photos, and/or incomplete information, such as lack of precise measurements.

As you know, most versions of antique Military swords have been reproduced in modern times. This one doesn't "look" like a reproduction, but anything is possible in the Antiques market nowadays. I have some longtime personal friends who are expert enough to say for certain whether it is an Original or a Repro.

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
New Pics.

OK folks,I now have the sword in hand.Overall length is 401/2",blade is 35".The story is that it was found in the rafters of an old house built after the civil war.There was some action in this area and it was occupied by both armies at various stages.Here are some better pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 227
OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Here are the only markings that are readily visible,one on the scabbard throat and one on the brass guard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 265

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BANNER FIND -YOU HAVE A VERY VALUABLE SWORD!!!! It is a "DOG RIVER CAVALRY SABER" -CONFEDERATE!!!!!!
AND THE SCABBARD IS WORTH ALMOST AS MUCH AS THE SWORD!!!
I had one just like it in the 90's sold it during my divorce (which I regret to this day).
BE sure you do not clean it any more. Leave it alone. I've nominated it for a "Banner Find"

Confederate Dog River Sword, - Cowan's Auctions tee6436.jpg

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was made in Mobil Ala it would be worth quiet a bit. It almost looks to be an ames light calvary sword. A dog river is 40.5 inches. There should be some I.D near the pommel were struck maybe not. It is in very poor condition unfortunately . You used to be able to pick up the old wrist breakers for around $400.00. Condition is everything for a good price. Please do not do any restoration yourself if it turns out to be a rarer and possible confederate sword :thumbsup:. Very cool. I like swords.

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
The fact that it has no markings than the two marks(roman numerals?) on the scabbard throat and guard,unstopped fuller and a rather crude casting of the guard leads me to believe it would be of confederate manufacture.The wire on the handle is iron(checked it with a magnet).Until I figure out for certain what it is I have no plans to clean it and then I'll probably leave that process to a pro.Thanks Dave.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me to be a Kenansville Second Model Cavalry Saber. The scabbard is marked with a roman numeral II and so is the sword. Here is an example for sale..... Artifacts For Sale

That is a rare and very cool example you have.

Steve

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
I have to agree that this is a Kenansville Armoury product.The only variance is the iron wire wrap on the hilt,where the ones I have seen appear to be copper.Other than that,everything else checks out.Thanks,David.

csachipper

Apr 9, 2009
Kenansville NC
Detector(s) used
T2 / Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, it appears to be a Kenansville. Froelich put Roman Numerals on his swords. I have XIX on mine. If you could take one more photo of the sword looking down blade so that you could see the "basket" or hand guard, it would help. The non-stop fuller definitely points toward a Confederate sword.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread