Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
I had a good hunt with Dave and Dave :) Saturday and we all made some cool relic finds.
A new first for me was this US Army "Great Coat" Button from the 1820's. The front is an eagle flying above the letters "U.S" which is above a wreath. The backmark says UNITED STATES.

I recovered another flat button, a small Eagle Cuff Button, two dropped bullets, a buckle, and some "unknown" brass items that may be some type of lids for something.

Thanks for lookin!

This is our Tailgate Shot with my finds on the right.

Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun hunt to me! Great button and nice looking Sharps and Remington teardpop bullets.

Steve

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Looks like a fun hunt to me! Great button and nice looking Sharps and Remington teardpop bullets.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Most bullets and buttons we find there are in much better condition. This hunt was in a slightly different area than normal and I think maybe there is some damage from fertilizer use over the years.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks very similar to the General Service buttons from the uniforms worn by the men in the second Seminole war.. 1835 - 1842
For that button to be 1820's found with "bullets" they must have had some old uniforms or replacement buttons.
Nice finds.

ForumRunner_20130921_131945.png

ForumRunner_20130921_132131.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Looks very similar to the General Service buttons from the uniforms worn by the men in the second Seminole war.. 1835 - 1842
For that button to be 1820's found with "bullets" they must have had some old uniforms or replacement buttons.
Nice finds.

View attachment 868056

Where I am hunting, is an area that has several scenarios. A lot of soldiers passed through this area for many, many years. Pre Civil War, Civil War, and post Civil War also. Our finds have covered a lot of time in history and are quite diverse. We have found hundreds of Round Balls, 2 identifiable Powder Flask sides, and lots of other CW and pre CW items. You may be right dating this button a few years later, which does not bother me since I am no button expert and it is still older than most items I have been able to date thus far. I came up with 1820's from the research I did from the backmark on this button on the internet. It could very well be a replacement button, or off an old uniform....wish I could go back in time to see. I appreciate your input no matter who is right, I'll still be just as pleased with my find.

Thanks,
Jim

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't trying to Disagree or see who was right... Just add a thought.

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
I wasn't trying to Disagree or see who was right... Just add a thought.

I wasn't trying to defend my find either, just adding some info on our hunt site, our finds, and my research. Like I said...I do appreciate your input and ideas. If you lived closer, I'd see if I could take you out there for a day and let you get a good taste of a really special place.

I believe we have hunted together before at one of the CTH hunts. Am I right?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No..I've always been a bit of a loner.
I used to fish tournaments though.
You have a great site there.. I don't often share the ones I hunt that are like that.. I have a few.
Some go back thousands of years as yours might also..good ground is good ground.
No detector for those really old ones though.
Best of luck to you .. and I really respect your selflessness.
H.H.

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
No..I've always been a bit of a loner.
I used to fish tournaments though.
You have a great site there.. I don't often share the ones I hunt that are like that.. I have a few.
Some go back thousands of years as yours might also..good ground is good ground.
No detector for those really old ones though.
Best of luck to you .. and I really respect your selflessness.
H.H.

Thanks again. I've been mostly a loner too, and fished a lot of Bass tournaments when I was younger. Found out dirt fishing was more rewarding and I met two hunting buddies last year that have changed my life for the better. Every weekend is a new and exciting adventure...even if we don't find much, I walk away with a smile.

Good luck on your treasure hunting endeavors.

Jim

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Jim! Hope you find much more from this site.

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bigfoot, looks like a nice hunt you guys had. According to some info that I have on buttons and military insignias, they list the button as 1820's - civil war. I found one on an Indian campsite circa 1860 but not in near as good of shape as yours. Also, is that a copper latch of some sort in the middle of your finds. I found one identical to that but couldn't figure out what it was from.

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Bigfoot, looks like a nice hunt you guys had. According to some info that I have on buttons and military insignias, they list the button as 1820's - civil war. I found one on an Indian campsite circa 1860 but not in near as good of shape as yours. Also, is that a copper latch of some sort in the middle of your finds. I found one identical to that but couldn't figure out what it was from.

That my friend, is part of an Epaulette. I'm assuming you are talking about what looks like a Hasp for locking a door, or whatever. I'll add 2 pics of an Epaulette, and you can verify if that is what you are talking about. Thanks for reinforcing my research about the button. This is probably not an 1820's site, but it has produced some early 19th century finds that must have been brought in mid 19th century by soldiers.

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep that's it Bigfoot. Thanks for IDing that for me. I've been wondering what the heck it was. Have you ever found a complete one?

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Yep that's it Bigfoot. Thanks for IDing that for me. I've been wondering what the heck it was. Have you ever found a complete one?

No...but me and my buddies now have enough parts to rebuild one, I think.:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread