Iron ore mine worth checking???

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

SevenOut

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom owns around 90 acres with an old iron ore mine used during the civil war foor cannon balls, etc. Some of the holes were later used for junk holes 1940s-1970s. Should i deal with the trash and iron to check this place out or not? Thanks, josh...

That is always a problem when you have mineralized ground, especially something that will cause the detector to go NUTS, in a big way.

You did not say where you are located, so we are looking at a continent. If in the Minnesota/Michigan area you are in luck. The state Geological Survey can provide you with old and current reports that might include maps, of the area you are wanting to search. The U. S. Geological Survey also has printed hundreds of papers, available on the internet book seller sites, of very local mining areas. Some have photographs of the actual sites from the 19th and early 20th century sites. They are inexpensive and can provide names of previous owners, when it was in operation and when it closed down. The defunct Bureau of Mines printed material since the early 1900's with the same coverage of detailed MAPS.

When I am hunting with metal detector along... I will not put much time into hunting an area unless it is early 1900's at the latest away from a town in the hills. I do not coin shoot, but am looking for old campsites that can produce some interesting items, other than rusty tin and nails. Some sites are mid to late 1800's that I like the most, so ANYTHING that triggers the slightest hit... I check it out. So good luck and do some research. Knowing WHERE to search is better than trying to attack the entire State!

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is always a problem when you have mineralized ground, especially something that will cause the detector to go NUTS, in a big way.

You did not say where you are located, so we are looking at a continent. If in the Minnesota/Michigan area you are in luck. The state Geological Survey can provide you with old and current reports that might include maps, of the area you are wanting to search. The U. S. Geological Survey also has printed hundreds of papers, available on the internet book seller sites, of very local mining areas. Some have photographs of the actual sites from the 19th and early 20th century sites. They are inexpensive and can provide names of previous owners, when it was in operation and when it closed down. The defunct Bureau of Mines printed material since the early 1900's with the same coverage of detailed MAPS.

When I am hunting with metal detector along... I will not put much time into hunting an area unless it is early 1900's at the latest away from a town in the hills. I do not coin shoot, but am looking for old campsites that can produce some interesting items, other than rusty tin and nails. Some sites are mid to late 1800's that I like the most, so ANYTHING that triggers the slightest hit... I check it out. So good luck and do some research. Knowing WHERE to search is better than trying to attack the entire State!

Located in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia....Hunted for a while yesterday in a open feild near the mines...found a 3-ringer and an era belt buckle so definatley more excited about the area.....Thanks, josh

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Located in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia....Hunted for a while yesterday in a open feild near the mines...found a 3-ringer and an era belt buckle so definatley more excited about the area.....Thanks, josh

Josh - Please share with us your belt buckle find , indeed!!! Would love to see it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread