Gilmer Map Help Please!

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been relying on a Gilmer map from 1864 for my general area (Eastern NC). On the map there are several symbols for houses with the initials SH in all capitals. Also found are the initials SM on similar symbols. I would appreciate someone familiar with these maps and the naming conventions used on them to fill me in on their meaning. I am leaning toward "Slave House" = SH and I have no clue where to go with SM. All help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG OMG OMG OMG ..... I have spent the last few hours looking at these Gilmer maps of my area. A lot of the names of places have changed. But OMG I live 2 houses away from Confederate entrenchments from the battle of June 1864.. I knew I lived close to civil war areas but I had no idea I was this close... and here I been hunting all over town for good places to detect... GET WARM OUTSIDE NOW PLEASE.. I do not want to wait till Thursday.. ohh this is going to be fun.. I don't even need to pack my gear.. and if I get hungry or thirsty on this hunt I will just walk back a couple of houses to my own place..

Thank you so much for the info on these Gilmer maps
I did have to download a decent reader for the jp2 files
Download Free IrfanView ALL plugins, IrfanView ALL plugins 4.37 Download

Last edited:

yoyo27983

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SH is school house. BS is black smith. I think SM is a saw mill. At least it is on some other maps I have seen. The school houses were usually at an intersection of roads. I have studied those Gilmer maps of Eastern NC for hours and hours. Where are you? I am in Windsor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread