Research of a Soldiers Service And Unit Campaigns

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Research of a Soldier's Service And Unit Campaigns

No artifacts here, but I need help in researching an officer Lt. Robert G. Stinson of Co. C First Regt. Infantry NGP. I have a friend who has a presentation sword dated July 2nd, 1885. I suspect the presentation sword was given by his unit during a reunion. The sword is marked Horsham Philadelphia. Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
During the Civil War, there was a Robert Stinson (no middle initial mentioned) who was a Private in the 20th PA. cavalry, and a Robert Stinson (no middle initial mentioned) who was a SGT. in the 69th Pa. Vols.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks, John for the information. I'm just trying to track down as much of the back-story on the piece and the fellow that it belonged to. Ideally, the current owners would like to track down descendants of the man and return the sword them. Noting the date of July 2nd, I surmised he or the unit participated in Gettysburg.

I reckon it was possible that the gentleman was a lower rank during the Civil War, remained in service after and eventually was promoted to the rank of Lt.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Jump over to Full text of "History of the First regiment infantry, National... and search the page on: Robert G. Stinson

You will find three hits...and yes - it must have been OCR'd and it has a lot of spelling errors (but easy enough to figure out).

1. ...A I'tatiiiT of this fuciUiiiniient. the liL-ttcT to coutiuue uuiforuiiry in carU- training, LifUtenant William M. Bonsall, of Conipatiy A, was detailed as regimental squad instnietor, and as such was <lirected to relieve Lieutenant Robert G. Stinson on July 21, at Camp Adam J. SliMinn.r...more

2. ...First Battalion - Major J. Lewis Good, commanding— First Lieutenant Robert G. Stinson, acting adjutant — First Sergeant \Vm. B. Johnson, acting sergeant-major...more

3. ...The following,' leappointmenta and appointments on the Regimental Stair are hereby announreJ Adjutant, Robert G. Stinson; Quartermaster, F. P. Koon3...more

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
VPNavy, thanks again for the link.

By the way, I noticed your links in your signature and remember responding to the Fla. one, but never did notice the Penna. thread. I used to live in PA many years ago, before I ever got involved with metal detecting. I dream of certain sites that I know of that I'll never get the chance to hunt. I have lived in Wyoming, Luzerne, and Monroe county.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down - we run down to Florida a few times a year (have a condo). When I was stationed at NAS Jax - the wife and I would run down to St. Augustine and park right on the beach. Ah, back-in-the-day! :)

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_Down - we run down to Florida a few times a year (have a condo). When I was stationed at NAS Jax - the wife and I would run down to St. Augustine and park right on the beach. Ah, back-in-the-day! :)

We still park on the beach. There are over 16 miles of beach that beach driving is allowed. I do love living on the First Coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread