Buttonwood Tree House Hellam,PA Underground Railroad

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Buttonwood Tree House
In 1937, telephone linemen who were sent to install phone lines in the "Chicken Pie Place" Restaurant in Hellam, York County found an arched German fruit cellar hewn from solid rock. The Buttonwood Tree House, which takes its name from the large buttonwood tree in the front yard, is built like a fortress, on solid rock, with walls 24 inches thick. The original house was built in approximately 1760. It was remodeled sometime between 1810 and 1820. The house is located 8 miles east of York City. It sits midway between York City and Columbia.

A prominent businessman in both York and Lancaster Counties, Abraham Hiestand bought the building in 1830. Hiestand also owned the Old York Inn, which was another known Underground Railroad stop in York County. Sarah Wilson, Hiestand's daughter inherited the property and owned it from 1865 to 1899. She continued to help fugitives in the latter days of the Civil War.

It was in the hidden cellar that fugitive slaves were hidden. The means of entry into the cellar was via a fireplace in the living room. In the living room fireplace, a hole large enough for a large person to slide down into the otherwise completely walled in cellar was concealed. When strangers were present a log fire was kept burning in the fireplace and the hole was covered with stones.
http://muweb.millersville.edu/~ugrr/yorkugrr/buttonwood.htm

Attachments

• mortared vent hole.gif
    mortared vent hole.gif
    232.7 KB · Views: 11,999
  • Buttonwood Tree House.gif
    Buttonwood Tree House.gif
    79.3 KB · Views: 758
Upvote 0

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I,ve always found that stuff fasinating! In southern NJ where I come from I remember a few homes that were used for the underground railroad. At one , Lawn sprinkler installers found a tunnel from the home to a long gone out building. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread