possible 50 caliber rim fire cartridge Help with identity and maker information.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All,
Thank you for viewing this thread.
The cartridge is an isolated find at present, but there was Civil War activity within a few miles. Found with AT Pro 10 inches down. Hope the photos are good enough to see the three separate circular hammer scars along the rim area. The brass cartridge is 1 1/2 inches long and about 9/16 inches in diameter. Can anyone help identify this cartridge maker. best, IMAG0749 (1).jpg IMAG0755.jpg

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it took me so long to reply to yr pic's..(i'm kinda ill I just typed all this & the T_net logged me off:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:).

Tho your cartridge looks a-lot like a Spencer , Ballard or even a Sharps & Hankins.
At One & a Half inch long that would make it to long.
It also looks to be 'necked down' a little .....Tho I may be wrong.
As I stated before ,I know next to nothing about Post CW Bullets & Cartridges & All info I give ---
'Is just My Opinion'

I know basically right after the CW there were Rim-Fire Cartridges like the 45-50 Govt & the 50-50 Govt

So maybe....Just maybe ..You have found one of those early large Caliber Rim-Fire Cartridges.
&
Just Maybe Somebody was playing around/experimenting & did some "Wildcatting " & necked down the cartridge for a smaller caliber Bullet ???.

Hope you find out for sure.
An early cartridge would look good in my display case of early but post war Cartridges , bullets & Dropped Complete Cartridges. but I keep most everything. lol

Enjoy the rest of your Weekend.

Davers:thumbsup:

P.S. I typed this about a week ago & forgot to Press Post. Lucky It was auto saved.
D

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread