March Finds

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all. Thanks for viewing this post. I am thinking this is not a small picket station anymore as there are 4 separate concentrations across a 60 acre field. Excuse the typos on the photo page. If anyone knows what the lead ring is or any of the odd pieces please tell me. This is the first union button I have found in forever, but it is a bit smashed. The three conical 36 cal pistols bullets are odd and maybe later, but found among round balls so opinions welcome. IMAG0809.jpg best,

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bunch of finds. Your spoon handle is actually a dust cover or keyhole cover from an old padlock.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. Thanks for viewing this post. I am thinking this is not a small picket station anymore as there are 4 separate concentrations across a 60 acre field. Excuse the typos on the photo page. If anyone knows what the lead ring is or any of the odd pieces please tell me. This is the first union button I have found in forever, but it is a bit smashed. The three conical 36 cal pistols bullets are odd and maybe later, but found among round balls so opinions welcome. View attachment 1293697 best,

Good Stuff , as usual AL11.
IMO look's like you got a Spencer Bullet , & a Type 3 Cleaner, the buttons are cool.

The pistol '36 cal's' are likely Post War ( but still keepers) & as for the round balls 32 cal & Under .
These have Given me fits for years .
I do believe many are CW Pistol Shot or Buck & ball shot.

Then again I think many (not referring to yours) are OLD Buckshot from Hunters, I usually judge them by site found .
but Still it's hard to be sure , especially when fired.
I love when I dig them 'Dropped' (almost or Perfectly Round & with a little of the 'Spur' left or a Clear mark where the spur was cut off). 'Again ,the site found says A-lot.'.

Example ....I dug Many in a Small US camp , where there was no Battle & the Soldiers would have been in Big Trouble if they were firing in the Camp.

I'm still trying to get to a point to where I can feel comfortable , ID'ing the Smaller Round Balls.

I still keep them tho . & IMO Way better to dig than another "Darn" 22 Bullet.
GL In April
Davers

Also any GS Eagle Button is a welcome sight these day's.:thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill add 36 cal Balls to " pain to ID Category "

Anyone know the largest size or types of 'Shot' used in say pre, 1950's Shot Gun Loads?

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good call. Guess that means its brass. The crown stamp made me think it was silver.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of finds. Most of our finds come from what we think are picket post or small camps. Maybe the lead ring was a homemade button and the center pulled out....???

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With a subdivision coming soon. I practically run through the field. HAHA

Last edited:
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for viewing this thread.
This photo was in my March Finds post, but I blew it up so the button is believable in this view. Appears to be an Eagle button with "I" on it. Maybe an Evans IMAG0913.jpg back mark, got to clean on it more. The ground is miserably dry now and recoveries are scarce. Need a little 3 inch rain shower.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers requested:
"Anyone know the largest size or types of 'Shot' used in say pre, 1950's Shot Gun Loads?"

Pleased to be of service to my fellow relic diggers. The chart below should be helpful.

Attachments

• chart_buckshot-sizes_shot-size-chart_TN_postedbyCalisdad.jpg
    chart_buckshot-sizes_shot-size-chart_TN_postedbyCalisdad.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your keyhole cover was made in the British Empire and the "6R" is probably two letters rather than a 6 and a letter. The letters indicate the British monarch at the time and will help you find a date range of when the cover was manufactured. A "VR" mark indicates Queen Victoria (Victoria Regina) and would have been made between 1837 and 1901. A "GR" indicates King George III (George Rex) and would have been made between 1760 and 1820. I can't make out the letters from your picture. Is it possible that the 6 is a letter rather than a 6?

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I agree and ment to put G, but had pen problems. Great research by you. I will attempt to clean the piece and repost the better version.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pile o' finds.