Civil War Minnie in wood?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only dug 2 of these 1 15 years ago & 1 yesterday.

Is there a way to tell if the Tree was alive when the bullet entered it?

Also what's the best way to keep the Wood from Rotting away?

I think on my first one ; I soaked it with EV Olive Oil several times , I can not recall if I put a final Poly, Wax, etc., coat on it ; I have not Seen it in 10 years, hope it's still together.

Thanks in advance for any Help.
Davers:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know DD
I think i'm just gonna give it several coats of EV Olive Oil , let it dry then put a coat (Thin as Possible) of Poly -Clear Coat.

Like I did on the One I found 13 years ago. That looked good enough for my OCD Brain.

As u can see on my piece there is not much wood left & that Big Gap was not there when I first dug it. So I need to act Quickly. Yawn ...LOL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare as hens teeth. This one I found is in Cedar. It has survived and will not do anything as the wood is stable. They also survive in the now extinct American chestnut and a hard pine knot. You are lucky to have found two of them.
HH

IMG_4423.JPG

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys know any wood turners or bowl makers? i sale wood blanks and burls to woodworkers and they speak of stabilizers they use for burls that have decaying wood . im just guessing they might be able to help you out in this procedure, if you know any.

I wood turn when I have time. I seal the ends for at least a year with white glue before I turn. Sometimes I rough turn green and see if it blows or cracks. A flat or satan min wax poly spray will keep it looking natural. Just do a light spray on each side and let dry and apply again if your like. I seal iron artifacts that way that will come apart in electrolysis that way it stops the air and further corrosion.
On bowls I use linseed or tung oil especially on walnut to finish.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare as hens teeth. This one I found is in Cedar. It has survived and will not do anything as the wood is stable. They also survive in the now extinct American chestnut and a hard pine knot. You are lucky to have found two of them.
HH

View attachment 1349042

I know what u mean , I have found several other bullets in Knots 22's Mostly, a few 38 cal & a 44-45 -One of the 45 FMJ ,I was sure was a CW Bullet ,(Going by Sound & VDI#) but Noooo.

I Really want to keep this one intact (It's barely holding on ,as u can see) cause I know Exactly what battle it was fired in.

The First was from a Skirmish the Day before the Big Battle that over showed it on the Following day.
Both sides took many losses on the Skirmish that has been lost to history (Mostly) , Via W, Scaffee's book.

Thanks For your advice I & DD will appreciate it I'm sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread