New guy here with a civil war era find

Trapperdude

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would like to start by saying hello to all who hasn't visited the interduction page. I would like to share my percussion cap revolver with y'all found around 15 years ago. It was found while doing dozer work on our place here in st. Helena parish. Shortly after it was found we moved and has been in storage ever since. I believe it to be a 1858 Remington .36 cal navy or a Eli Whitney.36 cal navy by looking at the sight groove on top of the frame. Sitting in front of the barrel is a 44 cal round ball that is nowhere close to fitting in. Any input on what it may be is appreciated. I will also be looking into finally preserving it if anyone has any pointers.

Thanks and God bless

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg k

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Personally, I would try my best to clean her up. I would put her in a vinegar for a few days, ketchup for a few days (really - you would be amazed!), transmission fluid for a few days and whatever else you can do to clean her up. I picked up a S&W Model 2 Army that was in the ground for a ton of years and was written off - rusty beyond belief, etc. - when I finished the cleanup - it looked totally different, cylinder moved, hammer moved and I was able to actually read the serial number, etc. and trace its age. Hopefully, you will be able to find a serial number to isolate its age.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard and Great Save on the revolver. She will clean up well and be a show piece in your collection or display. Hewge Congrat's.

OP
OP
T

Trapperdude

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, has anyone hear tried a electrolysis setup for cleaning rusted iron?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't personally, but there are quite a few video's on Utube walking you through the setup step by step. Acquachigger has gotten some pretty good videos I believe explaining this. Good Luck. Also, have you checked out the product Gempler's on rust preservation. The product is called Gemplers Rust Converter, and by videos on this product it really does a good job. I plan on trying this product out soon. Best of Luck to you.

OP
OP
T

Trapperdude

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I will have to Check it out. I've been doing some research what is the likelyhood this coul be a product of Calvery General Griersons raid on greensburg Louisiana? It was found between the City of Amite and Greensburg. I was thinking it would be a good spot for a metal detector when I get one.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis all the way IMO , Do it soon , I can just see pieces falling off in the Picture. lol So ASAP on such a historical piece , I have many iron pieces that I dug years ago that have basically rusted into nothing.

Also some of vpnavy 's techniques will work , A good Week or 2 Soak in apple Cider Vinegar will help it A-LOT Imo.
Then electrolysis to get the rust from the hard to reach places .

If you lived closer I'd like to try to help you preserve it. At no Charge.

Until yr ready to de-rust ,I'd keep in in the Dead Sea Area. Or in the Driest place you can.
Great Save

OP
OP
T

Trapperdude

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well got around to preserving it this weekend. After 15 hours of electrolysis I gave it a dip in hot wax for a hour and a half.
image.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread