It's the little stuff that keep me going.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow Civil War relic Hunters.

As y'all know CW relics are becoming harder & harder to find (everywhere) but especially in my area of N.GA.

I got out on a Cooler low Humidity day yesterday ( likely the last one for a few Months) Had a Dr ,Apt . In Cartersville Ga, 'I live in "LA" or Lower Acworth'

There was much Civil War action & movements in these & surrounding areas, I drove the 25 or so miles back to my area 'taking the back roads' or Hwy US 41 taking lots of side road detours .

Everything is just built up , on , + rough terrain. I saw a couple places I may could ask , but I'm still to shy for that. 'Anyway' I drove for about 2 hours & ended up at a spot where I have found a few relics before , Hunted there for about 3 hours , there is lot's of Iron & Hot Rock in this place so I dug the usual large 2-4 inch Square Nails , a few 22 bullets , then I found 1 perfect 31? or 32? caliber round ball , not fired & I could see where the 'spur' was cut off, so it was likely cast there then dropped, that was enough to make me happy , Ill put it with my other relics from that site.

On the way there about 2 pm I noticed some Dozier work going on where many relics were found Years ago , & a few in the past 10 years or so.

I figured id stop there on the way home after the workers left.

So I did , It was a small area 'tennis Court ' size ......No signals.. Oh I still had my 5 inch loop on .

There is a field or fields close by I have hunted before (found a few relics there in years past) & about a Quarter mile walk from where I parked , so I walked up there , I was (i'm pretty sure was a farm ) until est, 1960-70, Then small parts were used as a pasture until 20 years ago.

Now 30 foot Pines & taller Popular Tress have taken back large areas of the site, but the landowner keeps the clear parts mowed down.

There is lots of trash there cans at 10+ inches , beaver tails, & everything in between & The Farm Iron :BangHead:.

I knew I would not get 'super depth' with the small coil but it rained 5 + inches in the past 5 days so I got a good 5 + inches & the Clay was super soft, it's usually hard as a rock this time of year.

I dug lot's of Trash there 'deep Cans' Aluminum bottle caps , big iron, Then I got a brass signal , it turned out to be a Spencer Case , then 15 min later got another Spencer , I have dug other Spencer Rifle cases in this area before (most are Fired) , this place is on the outskirts of the Battle of Kennessaw Mt ,& both Confederate & Union Calvary Skirmished in this area for a good While .

There for the main road through there & a Major rd that parallels this one (but a Mile further east) ...Going N from South about 5 miles I have found many Spencer Hulls along with the occasional fired Minnie or Enfield Or Fired Spencer bullet themselves. That testify to the actions that took place in the area.

Just wish I had a chance to hunt it before all the development.

Sorry for a long Story about 1 Round Ball & 2 Fired Spencer Cases but just wanted to note that i'm very happy with my finds 6+ hours Detecting, Knowing the History of the area.

For example someone could offer me 2 Spencer Bullet cases for 25 cent each & I'd pass ; not being for sure where they came from, but I would not take $100 for each case I dug yesterday.

Then again ...Someday ; Somebody will have to take my Word of my Sons word on where they were found.

It's tuff Hunting but like my title it's the little things. :thumbsup:

Davers

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can totally relate to that. If I find one item I can confirm is CW then I've had a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing. Great post

HH, RN

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey brothers. Im with you on that. Things are sparse here, but reading up on local history is the solution and the OR is online so more finds will come. Great work Davers.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply's .

I was wondering if all that made since.

It's a Good thing I "Dig" 'pun-intended' Coins as well.
But
They are scarce as well. Old ones at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread