A Question about Enfield Type / 'Slicks' Civil War Bullets.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were Enfields only True "Enfields" if in .577 Caliber ?

If so does that mean the .54 Caliber 'Slick' No rings are just smaller copies of their larger caliber brothers?

I suppose US or Confederate Cast 58 or 54 Enfield types are basically "Rifled Musket" type's

Guess what i'm asking is Do true "Enfield" Bullets have to be Made in England or with English made casting molds ?

Strange thought of the Day . Or 1 of them :laughing7:

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There was no .54-caliber Enfield rifle, so the British did not manufacture .54 "Enfield-Pattern" bullets. There was a .69-caliber Tower Enfield Musket, so "Enfield-Pattern" minies made for use in that firearm are called "Tower-Enfield" or simply "Tower" minies.

Those facts aside, relic-diggers commonly call the Confederate-made Enfield-Pattern minies for the .54 Mississippi Rifle and .54 Austrian Rifle ".54 Enfields." That's incorrect, but it's the name most diggers (and many collectors) use. A lot of those guys are still calling certain .69 minies "Belgian" and Italian/Garabaldi/Carcano" but in reality both of those types were made by Confederate manufacturers in North Carolina. Neither of them are imported European-made minies.

You asked:
Guess what i'm asking is Do true "Enfield" Bullets have to be Made in England or with English made casting molds ?

Nope. 21st-Century bullet-book authors the Thomas Brothers (James E. & Dean S. Thomas) refer to the "slick" .577 minies from Confederate-made molds as Enfield minies. In other words, they are .577 Confederate copies of the British .577 Enfield design. The Thomas Brothers do call the "slick" .54 minies simply .54 Rifle-Musket minies. See the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was no .54-caliber Enfield rifle, so the British did not manufacture .54 "Enfield-Pattern" bullets. There was a .69-caliber Tower Enfield Musket, so "Enfield-Pattern" minies made for use in that firearm are called "Tower-Enfield" or simply "Tower" minies.

Those facts aside, relic-diggers commonly call the Confederate-made Enfield-Pattern minies for the .54 Mississippi Rifle and .54 Austrian Rifle ".54 Enfields." That's incorrect, but it's the name most diggers (and many collectors) use. A lot of those guys are still calling certain .69 minies "Belgian" and Italian/Garabaldi/Carcano" but in reality both of those types were made by Confederate manufacturers in North Carolina. Neither of them are imported European-made minies.

You asked:

Nope. 21st-Century bullet-book authors the Thomas Brothers (James E. & Dean S. Thomas) refer to the "slick" .577 minies from Confederate-made molds as Enfield minies. In other words, they are .577 Confederate copies of the British .577 Enfield design. The Thomas Brothers do call the "slick" .54 minies simply .54 Rifle-Musket minies. See the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges."

Thanks TCBG

Actually looking a that exact 'Hand Book' is what made me ask this question. As all the .54 'slicks were referred to as "RM" types.
GD
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread