Donated to museum with Civil War items - What is it?

deltatango

Aug 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local historical museum received some items recently including leather shot pouches and powder canisters and this item (photos) which I am trying to find any info on. Maybe it has nothing to do with civil war artifacts, It's heavy, possibly solid metal. Any ideas. Thanks anyone. cylinder-5 inch black-end1.jpg cylinder-5 inch black-end2.jpg cylinder-5 inch black-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Solid brass shot-gun shell but w/o a primer ,but if its 'Solid' & it looks to be.
I don't know.

I'd put it on the What is it forum, if u have not already, some folk there can I'd 'The Patterson Film' -Bad Example sorry.
'Live to i'd 'what is its' .

I'd like to know to.
GL

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't tell you what it is, but since you wonder if it is civil war related, or at least from the civil war era, I can tell you that in 40+ years of dealing civil war relics, I've never seen one marked "Pat. Pend." (Patent Pending). I'm fairly certain it means the unidentified object was made sometime after the end of the civil war... and perhaps, much later. In general, the use of "Plain Block" lettering in metal marking means latter-1800s at the earliest (and continues into the 20th Century and the present). Metal-markings from the mid-1800s and earlier very nearly always used "Serifed" lettering. (See the illustration below.) A prime example of that is civil war era metal button maker's-markings ("backmarks"). Of course, there's always an exception or two to the rule... but I'm quite certain the unidentified object marked Pat.Pend. is from long after the civil war.

I think the legal option to mark your invention or product with a Patent Pending warning did not come into existence until a few decades after the civil war ended.

Attachments

• marking_Serif_and_Sans-Serif_lettering-style_art-by-BigCypressHunter.png
    marking_Serif_and_Sans-Serif_lettering-style_art-by-BigCypressHunter.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 108

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread