Can anyone tell me if these are Civil War 3 ringers?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They all have basically flat bottoms let me know what you think thank you IMG_1042.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davers would weighing them help?

Sorry for my delay in responding .
I not looked at the CW section in a-While.

IMO Only , Weighing Drops would be pretty accurate especially if mass produced.

While field cast types may be tougher , also as the CBG showed in another thread 'Air Bubbles' can be present , even if mass produced.

Weighing Fired bullets 'IMO' would only rule in or out certain bullet types. & Give one a general Idea...IMO

I have not read all the reply's yet but hope you figured it out & Ill check my book's for Similar.

As I stated Old Bullets in good condition are keepers for me even if Post War.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tom.. Perhaps I'll post mine up soon. I have 4-6 different ones, none of them solid, all found in the same patch of woods.

Do you have a Picture ?

Funny, I'm asking somebody about a picture. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man this is a tough one for me , mainly the "top" bullet in the picture.

If u could weigh it/ them in Grains , it would be easier , thinking they are (around) 44-45 Caliber???

As Tom said def, reeds on the middle Bullet.

But
I can not find a match in my Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges.

IMO , right now if someone said "yes " or 'No' to ? Are they Civil War era.

I'd say No for the bottom 2 , & Maybe on the 'Top' picture & would explain 'IMO' It could have been cast locally for a rifle that was made in 44-45-46 cal,' or even 36 caliber if it/they measure that? '

Like a 'Picket ' Rifle or Revolver in that caliber :icon_scratch:

So IMHO, Your bottom 2 are late 1800's bullets 'Not long after the war as noted by others'
&
The top one could be an example of a bullet molded in or around the County/Parrish /State you found it. During the Civil War but most likely the End. & A unknown or unlisted example of CW Era Bullet.

In my 'Crappy' August find's picture there is an example of a 44-45 ish caliber bullet I dug that , I did not see any 'Reeds' on. Sooooooo.???

Time will tell, you def, have some interesting bullet types & could be much less common that actual Civil War Ear Bullets.

I 'No Expert'. Just my opinion.
GL & Happy Hunting & hope you find some good legit deals on Civil War relics ,on-line or in your travels.
Davers

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man this is a tough one for me , mainly the "top" bullet in the picture.

If u could weigh it/ them in Grains , it would be easier , thinking they are (around) 44-45 Caliber???

As Tom said def, reeds on the middle Bullet.

But
I can not find a match in my Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges.

IMO , right now if someone said "yes " or 'No' to ? Are they Civil War era.

I'd say No for the bottom 2 , & Maybe on the 'Top' picture & would explain 'IMO' It could have been cast locally for a rifle that was made in 44-45-46 cal,' or even 36 caliber if it/they measure that? '

Like a 'Picket ' Rifle or Revolver in that caliber :icon_scratch:

So IMHO, Your bottom 2 are late 1800's bullets 'Not long after the war as noted by others'
&
The top one could be an example of a bullet molded in or around the County/Parrish /State you found it. During the Civil War but most likely the End. & A unknown or unlisted example of CW Era Bullet.

In my 'Crappy' August find's picture there is an example of a 44-45 ish caliber bullet I dug that , I did not see any 'Reeds' on. Sooooooo.???

Time will tell, you def, have some interesting bullet types & could be much less common that actual Civil War Ear Bullets.

I 'No Expert'. Just my opinion.
GL & Happy Hunting & hope you find some good legit deals on Civil War relics ,on-line or in your travels.
Davers

Hey Davers thanks for the info. At this point ANYTHING 1800's, hell anything early 1900's, I'll take it. :laughing I appreciate it buddy.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davers thanks for the info. At this point ANYTHING 1800's, hell anything early 1900's, I'll take it. :laughing I appreciate it buddy.

LOL
I feel the same way.
GL

My memory is bad , Grew up in the 1980's 1990's .

You have dug 'definite' / 100% a Civil War relic before right?

It's out there just getting harder & harder to find especially with any consistency.

Just keep Learning , Scouting sites , & put in the Work & in a few years you will look back & think "Man I have dug some Cool Civil War & other stuff".
Davers

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL
I feel the same way.
GL

My memory is bad , Grew up in the 1980's 1990's .

You have dug 'definite' / 100% a Civil War relic before right?

It's out there just getting harder & harder to find especially with any consistency.

Just keep Learning , Scouting sites , & put in the Work & in a few years you will look back & think "Man I have dug some Cool Civil War & other stuff".
Davers

I'm 47 and growing up in New Orleans, we were in bars at 15, so the 80's and 90's are very fuzzy. As far as Civil War relics I've never found anything proven yet. It seems very hard in my area any location has been federalize land. I know that because the guy who threatened to take me to jail told me so.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Man I'm 46. & The partying started in 8th Grade.

Sux that most land is Federal or State ,it's like that here in many places , just 10 min away we got Kennessaw Mountain Nat, Battlefield & Park , Funny it's one of the most visited Civil War Battlefields in the Country but IMO 75% of the locals that go the are there to Jog, Bike & Hike.

It's a Very nice Place but Surrounded by Neighborhoods.

The local lake is ACOE Controlled , State Parks are No No's , as well as the National Forrest that takes up a-lot of the NE part of the State.

Folk dig good stuff in LA (Not sure about yr, exact area) but there has got to be Something.

I truly wish you GL in the future ....A nice LA Button would be a Sweet first CW Find.

I can tell you love the history.

That one bullet you got 'in the Top picture' look's right & may well be Civil War Era.

Don't give up. & Keep posting yr finds as you still find some neat stuff.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a Picture ?

Funny, I'm asking somebody about a picture. lol

I'll get a new battery for my calipers this weekend and try to get a thread up Monday.. I will let you know

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get a new battery for my calipers this weekend and try to get a thread up Monday.. I will let you know

Thanks Minrelica.
No big rush, Hopefully I won't 'Fade to black ' before that.

Cool , Now I got ' Welcome home Sanitarium' playing in my head.
GL if you get out this cooler weekend.
Davers

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Minrelica asked:
"What is the 'solid base' telling you?"

Charlie_P asked because the presence of a solid (no cavity) base on a bullet almost always means it is for a breechloading firearm. In case you (or anybody else reading this) don't already know, the term breechloader means the bullet is loaded into the back end (the breech) of the gunbarrel. Muzzleloader (bullet goes into the front end of the barrel, the gun's muzzle) firearms were common before and during the civil war, but faded out very quickly after the end of that war because breechloading was much faster than muzzleloading. So, bullets with a solid base are much-much more likely to be from sometime after the civil war. That's why Charlie_P wanted to know if the base of the bullets is solid.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Precise diameter measurements are needed, but until they get posted.... the bullets appear to be slightly post-civil-war US .50-70 Springfield Rifle bullets. Here's a photo showing a .50-70 bulletmold, marked as being made by Winchester in 1880.

Also see here:
America's First Fifty: The .50-70 Centerfire - Guns & Ammo

Attachments

• bullet_postwar_50-70-450-Government_bulletmold_1880-Winchester-marked_Ebay.jpg
    bullet_postwar_50-70-450-Government_bulletmold_1880-Winchester-marked_Ebay.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800