Troop movement maps

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know where one would search for Civil War troop movements. Iv'e spent several hours doing research and can find major troop marches from point A to point B but nothing that says what route they took. On averaged they moves about 10 miles a day so there has to be MANY camp sites along the way. I would imagine that there would be lots of relics left behind at each camp. Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind sharing what I find with anyone in my area that wants to go search them.

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate research, and I'm not very good at it.
One thing that you can do is Google soilders journals, dairy's, and letters. There are lots of these on line and if you find some from the area you are searching you can get lots of info from them if you read enough. They are also interesting to read. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
lookingharder

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RTR. Great info. I live about 300 yards from a old ferry crossing which crossed the river . I'm sure there had to be a camp near by seeing it would have probably taken a day to get an army across by ferry. I have plenty of research time coming. Get a new knee in two weeks. It will be warm just about the same time I'm healed up. Thanks again.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't mind the research at all, especially when it pays off. The crossings on the river were used as camp sites. All of the crossings on our little river are now swimming holes and we find minie' balls, pistol bullets and all sorts of CW related accoutrements in them. Look in and around all the swimming holes, most time they were guarded if there is or was a camp within a mile or so, depends upon troop movements I would think. Any places there are springs or good creeks or old house sites with wells along roads they used will be good places to search also. Good luck...d2

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets