A few finds, one with a mystery cross

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello to all.
The first photo has a melted CSA bullet and round ball in it. The second photo has the back of the melted bullet which has a cross on it. There is no way a plow could have done that so I think its intentional. The last photo has some things that that probably are civil war, but maybe some of the experts could add some facts. The site also has artifacts from about 1900. Since we don't that much cvil war material here its hard to understand these pieces. Thanks for looking.

y1.jpg y2.jpg y3.jpg

Upvote 0

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Really neat finds, Alabama11! Are you thinking someone made that cross so they could have a cross to carry in their pocket?
WD

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece with x, a checker piece maybe?

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking checker piece or poker chip.

D.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alabama 11, Great finds. Like the others, I think the bullet lead with the cross is probably a game piece. Congrat's on some Saved History. Well done. I personally love the personal carved pieces done by the soldiers. They are amongst some of my favorite finds.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of bullets are those? They are not typical .58 cal are they? Nice game piece sir.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found several that are 3 ring type with very narrow rings. Each was badly damaged so identifying them is not certain. Have some from the battle of Decatur that are better looking. Someone on Tnet said those types were CSA. My bullet book is misplaced at this time. Help needed.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several that are 3 ring type with very narrow rings. Each was badly damaged so identifying them is not certain. Have some from the battle of Decatur that are better looking. Someone on Tnet said those types were CSA. My bullet book is misplaced at this time. Help needed.

I have a bookmark on here of bullets I will try to find it for you. One day I will try to type mine also! Lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm now thinking 'game piece' as well , I could not see that the bullet was flat at first I thought it might be a regular size 'fired' bullet.

I'm interested in the other 'smaller'? caliber bullets as well.
HH A11

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This morning on the news on Fox5 from Atlanta they had a gentleman on that has a huge antique store and he used to have a show where they had actual auctions. He's on every now and then and showcases a few pieces and will give a little history on the pieces along with a value and a price. This morning I couldn't believe it but he had a 12 pound Confetrit' frag artillery shell exactly like the one I have. He priced the shell at $ 400.00. The one I have is priceles.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cheers on that.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd have to agree with both Joe G from Md and Dharmacy, the marking looks more like and "X" than a cross and it very well could've been used as a checker or poker chip, but regardless it's an extremely nice find, Congrats!!!

"D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread