Blow Outs

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little while back I posted a pic of a pile of misc fired bullets, I have been cleaning and treating some of my iron relics and running some stuff I dug from a WWI dump through electrolysis. So while I am waiting on that I have been going through the fired bullets and separating some of the more interesting ones. I will put up some of these as I run across them and take pics. Here are a couple of blown out three ringers that were in the pile.

D.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool as heck.
Thanks for the picture .
Davers

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having dug many bullets from the 1850’s to present, I have never ran across ”blown out bullets”.

I’m not in an area where civil war battles were fought.

What is a “blown out bullet”?

OP
OP
Dharmacy

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having dug many bullets from the 1850’s to present, I have never ran across ”blown out bullets”.

I’m not in an area where civil war battles were fought.

What is a “blown out bullet”?

This refers to a bullet with a casting flaw in the sidewall, usually from the cavity being off center or even an air pocket in the lead that creates a thin spot. This thin spot will "blow out" from the force of the charge and you will get a hole in the side like the examples shown.

D.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This refers to a bullet with a casting flaw in the sidewall, usually from the cavity being off center or even an air pocket in the lead that creates a thin spot. This thin spot will "blow out" from the force of the charge and you will get a hole in the side like the examples shown.

D.

Thank you. Guess with a higher number of bullets being shot, there are bound to be some rejects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread