Possible civil war photo.

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I was digging a bottle dump behind a house in new hampshire from 1913.
I was digging down about a foot deep and found this old photograph next to some bottles and license plates from the 1930s.
I think the photo may be from the civil war, I don't know if it is someone important/famous or if it was just a family member of someone who lived in the house.

Any information on this photo would be appreciated like a possible year, confederate or union and if this is a high ranking person or just a regular soldier.

20180813_110709.jpg

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that is a neat find

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the world did that picture not get ruined in the ground?
Thats just crazy...
Amazing Find..
Congrats

OP
OP
jmartins413

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the world did that picture not get ruined in the ground?
Thats just crazy...
Amazing Find..
Congrats
I really couldn't believe it when I found it that deep in the ground. The back and edges are metal and front is just glass. It was under half a dozen license plates so maybe the license plates saved it over the years.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really couldn't believe it when I found it that deep in the ground. The back and edges are metal and front is just glass. It was under half a dozen license plates so maybe the license plates saved it over the years.

What you have there is an ambrotype. The ambrotype first came about in the 1850’s. In the 1860’s the tintype became popular. Also a type of photo on paper (cdv) A tintype wasn’t tin but actually a thin iron. The ambrotype was exposed on glass then covered with velvet. The thickness of the glass gave it a sense of depth. Pretty cool find.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! The person is wearing what they called a great coat. It could be military or perhaps civilian. I tend to think this is military related based on the person wearing it, as why would you have a picture taken wearing a winter coat.

The collar style is interesting as I've seen both styles (Turned Up / Down). Do a search & you'll see what I mean. Based on it having 6 buttons I'd lean towards infantry.

If you know who lived in the house you might be able to look at records to see if the person fought in the war or not.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's A really cool find.Congrats :icon_thumright:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely an awesome save! I'm sure there's some history to be discovered. Is there any writing on the back, or behind the frame? Interested to know. Again...awesome find. Ddf

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great save on the pic. This is a very personal find for sure. It would be great if you could narrow down as to who this soldier may have been.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to cool , I'd guess a Civil War Photo. ???

OP
OP
jmartins413

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging in the same part of the same dump this morning and I found ANOTHER old picture. This one looks like he is wearing a union hat, so I think this is civil war

20180817_113931.jpg

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Definitely CW! They are wearing a Kepi. Keep digging as who knows perhaps you'll find a sword!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread