BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I'm usually decent at figuring out bullets, but I'm not sure on these 2. They are not in great shape, so that might make it a bit tricky. (Measurements are approximate.)

First one weighs 396.9 gr with a diameter of .5" and .937 in length. Looks like it has 2 grooves. Maybe some type of Sharps? EDITED: I just picked at the bottom of this one some and there is a small hole. Definitely leaning towards some type of Sharps.
NVxQ4NY.jpg

Is that black stuff powder?
SKEydbG.jpg

The next one weighs 355.6 gr with a diameter of .5 and .875 in length. May have had 3 grooves. I have no idea on this one. Maybe just a damaged 3 ringer?

Bkk1089.jpg

9QF9iPT.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes and Yes :icon_thumright: Nice CW digs!!!!

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that the first one is a Sharps variant, and the second one is a Burnside.

D.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'm usually decent at figuring out bullets, but I'm not sure on these 2. They are not in great shape, so that might make it a bit tricky. (Measurements are approximate.)

First one weighs 396.9 gr with a diameter of .5" and .937 in length. Looks like it has 2 grooves. Maybe some type of Sharps? EDITED: I just picked at the bottom of this one some and there is a small hole. Definitely leaning towards some type of Sharps.
NVxQ4NY.jpg

Is that black stuff powder?
SKEydbG.jpg

The next one weighs 355.6 gr with a diameter of .5 and .875 in length. May have had 3 grooves. I have no idea on this one. Maybe just a damaged 3 ringer?

Bkk1089.jpg

9QF9iPT.jpg

Thanks for the help!

I have not read the reply's yet , I'm trying to learn here as well .

I'm 'thinking' your first / top bullet is a 52 Sharps variant ( possibly with the 'small cone cavity')
&
The other a 'possible' .52 cal Spencer , or less likely a .52 Colt revolving rifle ???

IMO They display some Powder Burn or you have some 'Harsh ' Ground.

I could be wrong. Nice finds no matter what type they are.
HH

oh let me add both have been on a diet as they weigh way less than they should ' 'powder or ground corrosion ' :dontknow:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice rounds!! Interesting patina/corrosion. Is that normal for your area?

As for the black, this link may help...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/561949-help-black-residue-cw-bullets.html

Thanks Yak. These 2 along with a few others I have were dug in an old gravel road bed. The "dirt" that is mixed in with the rock is different from the surrounding wooded area. I don't know if it's some sort of compacted base material or what. A couple of them came out decent looking, but for the most part they are not in great shape.

Edited to add: In fact, I found another in that same road bed yesterday and I can't even tell what type bullet it is. I'm pretty sure it's CW though.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, The Gravel Rd explains their condition .

Still nice finds , I'd even if trashy ,search beside the road if it's possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread