Possible 12pndr grape shot?

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working on my house and happened to look down and see a couple of iron balls on the ground by a tree in my back yard, I picked them up and found that there were more underneath. I dug for 5 minutes and pulled out 130 balls 2.04-2.06" in diameter. They are cast iron, and you can see a seam and sprues on some of them and others are too rusty to see any on. I weighed a couple of them and they weigh about 1.2 lbs. So far all the evidence I've seen points to 12pndr grape or 32pnder canister, but I'd like to know how I could verify or authenticate them. Also, why would there be a stash of them randomly? I am in the area of Versailles and Tipton Missouri, Versailles is the location of the "Martin hotel" which was used in the civil war for housing soldiers. Allegedly you could know who was ahead by whether it was union or confederate soldiers staying there.
Any help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! I am about 15 minutes away from you to the East. I have found a few balls like that in the area, but never in that concentration. I will say that there were extensive mining operations in and around Fortuna, so they could very well be mill balls, especially in that number. If you ever come to or through California, I would be happy to take a look at them and compare with the ones I have found on local battlefields.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great!
Welcome to TNet! I am about 15 minutes away from you to the East. I have found a few balls like that in the area, but never in that concentration. I will say that there were extensive mining operations in and around Fortuna, so they could very well be mill balls, especially in that number. If you ever come to or through California, I would be happy to take a look at them and compare with the ones I have found on local battlefields.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats. Yes Canonball Guy is the expert. He’ll know.

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are "mill balls" like? And what were they used for mining?

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They come in all sizes. In fact, many "cannon balls" or "grapeshot" for sale on eBay are really mill balls.

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if mine are mill balls, they would be unused ones, since they would be worn if they had been used. Also if they were used mill balls, they would not necessarily be uniform in size. I'm planning to dig some more around there, since I was busy working on the house and so didn't take time to dig around any.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish that I had your answer, maybe google exact specs for artillery used in the CW by both sides or Shot Tables .

TCBG Will Know . I Just hope he is feeling well.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting finds have you found any other tjings that might give a better idea of what those might be

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also welcome from Mi Tommy

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning to dig some more and pull my metal detector out, but work has been busy as well as my evenings. Whatever is there will still be there, so long as nobody comes into my land and digs first. (Don't try this! =D)
Very interesting finds have you found any other tjings that might give a better idea of what those might be

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An update... I did some further research and talked to a lot of local historians and military history experts. I also brought several of them in to the Missouri museum of military history and the consensus is that they are most likely grape/canister shot from the Civil War. Most likely from the confederate side, since they pretty much used whatever they could get ahold of. I found them 50 yards from the road which was a trail in the Civil War times.
Now to figure out what to do with them. I plan to donate some to the local museum, and keep some, but also want to sell some, but really don't know how is best to go about doing that.
Is there any legal issues with selling artifacts you found on your own property?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal . Thanks for the update.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting