Possible 12pndr grape shot?

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working on my house and happened to look down and see a couple of iron balls on the ground by a tree in my back yard, I picked them up and found that there were more underneath. I dug for 5 minutes and pulled out 130 balls 2.04-2.06" in diameter. They are cast iron, and you can see a seam and sprues on some of them and others are too rusty to see any on. I weighed a couple of them and they weigh about 1.2 lbs. So far all the evidence I've seen points to 12pndr grape or 32pnder canister, but I'd like to know how I could verify or authenticate them. Also, why would there be a stash of them randomly? I am in the area of Versailles and Tipton Missouri, Versailles is the location of the "Martin hotel" which was used in the civil war for housing soldiers. Allegedly you could know who was ahead by whether it was union or confederate soldiers staying there.
Any help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures are needed. Welcome to TreasureNet.

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta take some more that are smaller file size. My phone won't post them via tapatalk...I have one with me right now. 1543854270539.jpeg

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can rule out any "grape shot" because that was not used on land. On land they used canister which is similar but different. "Grape shot" was iron balls wrapped in a canvas bag and rope, whereas canister shot was stacked in what looked like a coffee can and the balls were separated in layers by thin cast iron plates.

Does the area you are in have any mining history?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stands of grape I've seen were two plates with a bolt and balls stacked between them. Like this:
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/projectiles/canister/IIIA30.htm
You can rule out any "grape shot" because that was not used on land. On land they used canister which is similar but different. "Grape shot" was iron balls wrapped in a canvas bag and rope, whereas canister shot was stacked in what looked like a coffee can and the balls were separated in layers by thin cast iron plates.

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as mining history, there was coal mining about 45 miles away, and lead mining about the same distance in a differing direction. I don't know of any in my immediate area, I could ask some of the old timers though.

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If so there is a possibility that they are just milling balls used for crushing ore.
It didn't post my first reply about grape shot... Here's what I found for a 12 pounder stand of grape. Perhaps it's that term that makes the difference?
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/projectiles/canister/IIIA30.htm

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I'm talking about as grape shot. I guess it's a stand of grape. iiia30.jpeg

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as mining history, there was coal mining about 45 miles away, and lead mining about the same distance in a differing direction. I don't know of any in my immediate area, I could ask some of the old timers though.

Alright that opens the possibility that they are "milling balls" that were used to crush ore from a mine.

Cannonball guy is the real expert who can tell you for sure if they could or couldn't be cannonballs.

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be a possibility, though would they be of those dimensions and cast iron, or would they be steel?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what grape shot looked like

th(41).jpg

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to our local historical society and they said there were several civil war battles in our county (Morgan county Missouri) and there have been numerous cannon balls found in this area, though I'm still erring on the side of skeptical.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure "Cannonball guy" will see this here but he visits the what is it forum regularly.
Maybe you should post them there. He is the go to guy on this site when it comes to any kind of artillery.

OP
OP
A

anchoredinchrist

Dec 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post them where?
Not sure "Cannonball guy" will see this here but he visits the what is it forum regularly.
Maybe you should post them there. He is the go to guy on this site when it comes to any kind of artillery.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "What is it" section. You will find it under "Our discoveries" on this site. Good luck!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing,trust me,grapeshot was used in land warfare.

I'm sure there were some isolated cases where actual grape shot was used on land but it was intended and primarily used as naval artillery, and was not used in the western campaign.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread