digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very historical recording, any idea what year ?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love to hear or read the recollections of the old vets concerning their part in the war as young soldiers. One of my favorite books was Company Aytch by Sam Watkins. A great read.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love to hear or read the recollections of the old vets concerning their part in the war as young soldiers. One of my favorite books was Company Aytch by Sam Watkins. A great read.

Outstanding book. An eye opener for me. First one I've read about the war without the historical propaganda.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very historical recording, any idea what year ?

1947 recording of Julius Howell in DC. He was 101 years old. The title of General was an honorary title given him by a Confederate society.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hillbilly, I apologize for hijacking your thread but I thought Devldog might like to see these.

Attachments

• C V Magazine 1.jpg
    C V Magazine 1.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 66
  • C V Magazine 2.jpg
    C V Magazine 2.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 102
  • C V Magazine 3.jpg
    C V Magazine 3.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 101

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love history like this really good post/

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for posting i see he is wearing a Southern Cross of honor. it is neat to see one on a C.S.A vet

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice clip.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding book. An eye opener for me. First one I've read about the war without the historical propaganda.

What I really like about this book is that a lot of books written about the war are views and autobiography's of generals in the armies during the war. I always personally felt that this was an true upfront view of the war as seen through the eyes of a front and center private Johnny Reb. I feel that this must have been the same feelings and views of Many a Confetrit' soldier in the armies during the war. A lot of funny stories followed by both overwhelming sadness and sheer terror. The stories these old vets could tell.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hillbilly, I apologize for hijacking your thread but I thought Devldog might like to see these.

No problem! It would be great to see more of this sort of material. I found the video on YT and thought it might have already been posted here.
After Blak Bart pointed out Julius was wearing a Southern Cross Of Honor, which is a medal gold boy has found and posted on the forum lately, I went looking around and found this.
jul-civil_war_general-1-1-01.jpeg
Photo of Julius in his younger yeas.
jul-civil_war_general-2-1-01.jpeg

A letter from Julius to his son.
jul-civil_war_general-3-1-01.jpeg

Really nice to see the response to the video :)

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I really like about this book is that a lot of books written about the war are views and autobiography's of generals in the armies during the war. I always personally felt that this was an true upfront view of the war as seen through the eyes of a front and center private Johnny Reb. I feel that this must have been the same feelings and views of Many a Confetrit' soldier in the armies during the war. A lot of funny stories followed by both overwhelming sadness and sheer terror. The stories these old vets could tell.

Thanks for letting us know about this book.There is an expanded version on Amazon. Here is the description:

"In celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War: The definitive Civil War classic as Sam wanted it revised complete with his edits, new perspectives, authoritative text, and images of his changes.

Company Aytch has reigned as one of the most memorable and honest depictions of the American Civil War since its original publication in 1882. Sam R. Watkins's firsthand account of life as a Confederate soldier eloquently captured the realities of war, the humor and pathos of soldiering, and the tragic, historic events in which he participated. Although there have been other versions of Company Aytch published, this is the first with new material and revisions by Sam Watkins himself. Featuring over forty images, including his own pencil-marked edits, this volume combines the ageless text with Sam's intended revisions a treasure for lovers of history, academia, and Civil War enthusiasts alike."

The expanded version seems to be the one to have.

I think this would be a great gift for a couple or three family members of mine. (And me :))

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting i see he is wearing a Southern Cross of honor. it is neat to see one on a C.S.A vet

That is really cool. Especially since you found one recently. I want to find out more about the medal and why soldiers were awarded one, how it came about.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another short clip of rebel vets from the thirties. I wonder if it is possible to access these films from the Library of Congress.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting recollection of Civil War veteran.

Ill be honest i,m podcasting my favorite morning radio personalities from yesterday morning but ill watch you video , Oh! hopefully on my TV this eve.
I love the story's 'Facts' from the Soldiers that lived it.
Thanks for posting.

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another short clip of rebel vets from the thirties. I wonder if it is possible to access these films from the Library of Congress.

Note ill watch this one to . Thanks HBP

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have an old & worn copy of the book Co-Aytoc that I got from a Friend who passed on , I don't have the patience or attention span to read ,'He recommended it highly ' + I do believe it was from Kennessaw Mtn ,Or Cheetham Hill area "Battle" .
It's pretty much like being there , tho i've only read the first few pages ( I'm so lame ) but I'm gonna try to read it all asap .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread