Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at CW ID badges on eBay and I ran across this. It says it’s a CW dog tag. They’re saying this is made of silver. Where there CW tags made of silver? IMG_1641.jpg IMG_1640.jpg

I collect Andrew Jackson memorabilia and I remember buying this of a lady who said it was her husband’s who passed away. And all she knew was it was VERY OLD ANDREW JACKSON ID TAG TOKEN​. NICE CONDITION. MEASURES 23MM IN SIZE. MADE OF WHITE METAL because that’s all he had written down. I assumed it was a homemade Andrew Jackson token so I bought it from her. Can anyone tell me is this a legit CW dog tag that someone just put Andrew Jackson’s name on it? IMG_1354.jpg IMG_1355.jpg

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm over it. Thanks

Over hill, over dale
As we hit the dusty trail,
And those caissons go rolling along.
In and out, hear them shout,
Counter march and right about,
And those caissons go rolling along.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting that the image of liberty on the coin looks similar to the Walking Liberty coin. The way the flag is wrapped around her shoulder. Did A.A. Weinman copy off of this coin, or was it the other way around? Earliest Walker was 1916. Gary

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE!!! I emailed pictures of my Andrew Jackson tag to a CW tag expert and hears what he said

“Please excuse the tardiness of my reply as I have been away.

This is a Civil War dog tag (soldier's identification disc), for a guy named Andrew Jackson. Of course, both the first and last names were quite common, but most likely he was named after the President.

It would have been typical to identify his regiment, but for some reason he didn't. The overwhelming majority of these are Union, and the large number of stars suggests that this is as well.

While I don't have the Union version here…it is in my other library, I do have the 16 volume (about 9000 pages) Roster of Confederate Soldiers. There are 108 Andrew Jacksons listed. No doubt the much larger Union Army had many more.

There you have it!

All the best,

Dave

David R. Hillier

Antique Associates at W Townsend, Inc.

P.O. Box 129W (Mail) 473 Main St. (Shipping)

W Townsend, MA 01474

Phone: (978)-597-8084

Fax: (978)-597-6704

www.aaawt.com Facebook

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s real UPDATE above :)))

It would be nice if he would have provided a reference, or some sort of substantiating documentation.
Without it, his opinion to me is worth nothing.
As the quote goes, "All it takes is for one author writing a collector's guide to set the record wrong."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be nice if he would have provided a reference, or some sort of substantiating documentation.
Without it, his opinion to me is worth nothing.
As the quote goes, "All it takes is for one author writing a collector's guide to set the record wrong."

Well I’m happy your opinion isn’t worth nothing to me.

As the old quote goes, “Some people want everything to go wrong with you because nothing goes right for them.”

And if you’re that worried about it call him up and interrogate his credentials. Lol

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I’m happy your opinion isn’t worth nothing to me.

As the old quote goes, “Some people want everything to go wrong with you because nothing goes right for them.”

I don't want things to go wrong, but if you are going to claim something is from the Civil War, then you need something other than hearsay to back up your claim. Right now, that is ALL you have.

And if you’re that worried about it call him up and interrogate his credentials. Lol

If you are happy to have a misidentified item in your collection .. so be it. Personally, I would want to know the "TRUTH" if it were in my collection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't want things to go wrong, but if you are going to claim something is from the Civil War, then you need something other than hearsay to back up your claim. Right now, that is ALL you have.

If you are happy to have a misidentified item in your collection .. so be it. Personally, I would want to know the "TRUTH" if it were in my collection.

Maybe the problem is you don’t?

Are you a expert?

Call him up this numbers there? Lol

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope .. Not an expert .. just been dealing with Civil War artifacts for 51 years.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know creskol he has some great credentials. His website and business (brick and mortar) in Massachusetts is quite impressive. Checkout his website and about his years of experience. He has some beautiful CW guns I’m sure you’ll like it.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking at CW ID badges on eBay and I ran across this. It says it’s a CW dog tag. They’re saying this is made of silver. Where there CW tags made of silver? View attachment 1669675 View attachment 1669676

I collect Andrew Jackson memorabilia and I remember buying this of a lady who said it was her husband’s who passed away. And all she knew was it was VERY OLD ANDREW JACKSON ID TAG TOKEN​. NICE CONDITION. MEASURES 23MM IN SIZE. MADE OF WHITE METAL because that’s all he had written down. I assumed it was a homemade Andrew Jackson token so I bought it from her. Can anyone tell me is this a legit CW dog tag that someone just put Andrew Jackson’s name on it? View attachment 1669677 View attachment 1669678

Thank you for your time

I found this to be interesting:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 5.49.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 5.49.13 AM.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from the type set, and knowing that there is a Richmond Street in Philadelphia, I have my doubts about this being a Civil War ID tag. It looks, to me, to be more likely a Patriotic piece from the late 1800's, similar in nature to this one:

Is that Taunton piece in your collection? Does the other side have a company name? I grew up In Taunton - aka the silver city. There were many silver companies in the city; Reed & Barton was two blocks away.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread