Michigan State Seal Button - Help

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found this Michigan State Seal Type Button . It is a " Scovill MNF Co. Waterbury Staff Button .
Only Problem is , Im have a hard time identifying the exact time frame because of my lack of reference material . Can anyone help me with this ? Please....
I have attached pics.
Thanks for any help 100_3528.JPG 100_3526.JPG

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That backmark dates from 1850-1865. The internet has it all :icon_thumright:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
According to my book by McGuinn & Bazelon, that particular backmark spans from 1870-1920

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I stand corrected,thank you Rob. :icon_thumright:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my book by McGuinn & Bazelon, that particular backmark spans from 1870-1920

For my benefit can you tell me which Scovill back mark you went by. I think I have that reference book but can't find those dates in it. This is the book I have:

Attachments

• McGuinn book.jpg
    McGuinn book.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 48

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
At what would be page 168 .. but the page is "Figure 10" Scovill MFG, Co, the center button in the middle row.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At what would be page 168 .. but the page is "Figure 10" Scovill MFG, Co, the center button in the middle row.
Thank you. I didn't think to look at the backmark photos. I wonder why the text portion doesn't say the same thing?

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great piece of Civil War era history. Its also in what I would call perfect condition! So do not make the mistake of cleaning it! It looks amazing as is! And welcome to the gang!

OP
OP
T

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank everyone for the help I've received !!! Nothing but good people at this site - I'm thankful
I went ahead and purchased the same button book you've been referring to and am waiting for its arrival . This was a deep find in at a very rural home site in Mid Michigan Built circa 1870 . Three generations of the same family that I know of have lived there and Im looking into prior occupation - I do have to say that this was a last hole dig on a day of few finds in a lot of iron and trash . Being new to the eqionox 800 world I'm being constantly surprised by its abilities in trashy area's . I say this because this is my first ID number machine - I have been detecting for about 34 or 35 yrs but this is the first machine of this type and I like it greatly .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found this Michigan State Seal Type Button . It is a " Scovill MNF Co. Waterbury Staff Button .
Only Problem is , Im have a hard time identifying the exact time frame because of my lack of reference material . Can anyone help me with this ? Please....
I have attached pics.
Thanks for any help View attachment 1711822 View attachment 1711823

Man !
That's a super sweet Michigan Staff button . ..Great Find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread