To my Metro Atlanta Digger Neighbors .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers, for me it's a Ring Tail Sharps bullet, and of all my bullets, I don't think I have one stamped in the cavity with a number or a symbol such as U.S., A star, etc. I know they are out there, but I have yet to find one. I reckon it makes the hunt all the more interesting and provides us with that certain Drive to find these and other relics. Good post.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am brand new, and I have only found 2 dropped three ringers, three fired three ringed bullets and a fired sharps carbine. The bullet that eludes me is any bullet but a three ringer, lol! I would love to find a Ringtail, Gardner, Enfield, Washington Arsenal, .44 Colt, Burnside, New Austrian, Belgian, Arkansas Hawg, Mississippi rifle bullet, Salvaged lead, Charleston Hi-base, English Hi-base, Army of Northern Virginia style Selma Arsenal, Selma Lube groove Enfield, .75 Cal. Wishing Well bullet, Enfield Pritchett, Gallagher, Savage Pistol bullet...I could go on and on. Would you like me to stop? :-)

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am brand new, and I have only found 2 dropped three ringers, three fired three ringed bullets and a fired sharps carbine. The bullet that eludes me is any bullet but a three ringer, lol! I would love to find a Ringtail, Gardner, Enfield, Washington Arsenal, .44 Colt, Burnside, New Austrian, Belgian, Arkansas Hawg, Mississippi rifle bullet, Salvaged lead, Charleston Hi-base, English Hi-base, Army of Northern Virginia style Selma Arsenal, Selma Lube groove Enfield, .75 Cal. Wishing Well bullet, Enfield Pritchett, Gallagher, Savage Pistol bullet...I could go on and on. Would you like me to stop? :-)

Well???
It all depends on where you hunt.
On The "Wishing Well " (I see you have done your research ) I guess you would have to buy those , I've had Won a couple in Club hunts / Raffles I gave 1 to a friend & the other ??? ; They were 'different ' not only in their size & Type but many had powder burn that also made them unique .

Like those who hunt the PA or Gettysburg area , Those Big 3 ringers , Explosive Gardiner 's + regular Gardeners & the Larger cal , "Prussian , Belgian , French etc " are more common.

I guessing the Washington Arsenal types are more abundant in Maryland , N VA , I have never found one here in N Ga , but have see a couple Swaged base types [with star] were found around New Hope & Pickets Mill Ga.

I guess we will have to drive West for our Arkansas Hog , Marshall TX Enfield's & other 'different' W Western theater rounds.
I suppose in Va , W VA , TN , anything is possible , BTW I have never detected in any state but Ga , N Ga at that so i'm going on assumption . The Low Country has interesting types that run the scale same for S NC , I'd put N NC in the VA category
. I'm thinking N of the Civil War fighting .69 & 70? cal balls rule the roost. Ya know Flint lock times ?

Around me anything .69 Cal is Rare ( I've only dug 3 or 4 I think / 3 ringers at that. ), Gardeners are rare here ( I been lucky & have dug 10 or so Drops over the past 6 months all in the same general area ). Here Enfield types are pretty common but I rarely find types with a stamped cavity , ( a couple fired types with a '57' in their bases but I have dug 3 or 4 with the wood plugs still in them & I have not looked for a base mark.
As for carbine & pistol types 'Here' Burnside's don't seem that common anymore (I hear they were more plentiful in the Calvary camp's in the 60's -1980's ) I got lucky on a site with a good bit of those , along with Sharps 'small cone 52's , Sharpe's & Watervliet Arsenal 36 & 44 cal' cones.). The Spencer seems to have played a huge role in the sites I hunt , I find that funny cause I always heard about the Henry Rifle but I've never found a Henry cartridge or bullet ??? Others here have . A-lot of Sharp's carbine here. I got 3 Ringtail Sharps in 20 years all from different sites . 1 Richmond sharps , just a few 36 & 44 cal Colts , ball's of all sizes .31 or 36 mostly of course . (this late after the War).

I love .54 cal 's of all types ; lately about half the CW bullets I have dug have been fired so drops are nice , that said they are all special to me.

I WANT a nice Dropped or fired Whitworth type , they are around but hiding very well, any Small Cal Tennessee Rifle type , any 'Picket Bullet types' a Nestler or Kerr would be GREAT , Gallagher , Maynard, the same Cool looking Charleston Hi base & Selma Arsenal , Wilkinson & like you many more .

As I stated over an hour ago , I guess a few 'Road Trips' will be needed to dig many of the bullet types we want.

I won't even get into Buttons , Buckles etc, I think most Soldiers were Nude in this Ga Heat. LOL

Keep it up Rusty many of those bullets you want are out there waiting & I feel you will eventually get most , as "You have the Fever" GL

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, for me it's a Ring Tail Sharps bullet, and of all my bullets, I don't think I have one stamped in the cavity with a number or a symbol such as U.S., A star, etc. I know they are out there, but I have yet to find one. I reckon it makes the hunt all the more interesting and provides us with that certain Drive to find these and other relics. Good post.

DD
I tried to address you & the others reply's in my l-ong reply to RustyRelics .

OH I meant to mention Fullstock's Bowl of Bullets Reply in his 'C' Button post , It is cool with so many types visible.
Gd & HH

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ha ha! I hear you on the naked soldiers. Maybe that's why the rebs were winning the majority of the war... I would run, seeing several hundred guys in their birthday suit...

I would LOVE to hunt the Western Theater. I am trying to find out more about the Civil War history of my area. I guess I live in "The Western Theater". The bullets found are just so strange, and friggin' huge...they're just awesome! But then again, I am a bullet nut, so I'll keep digging what's lead! Even those three ringers, ya gotta love em'!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha! I hear you on the naked soldiers. Maybe that's why the rebs were winning the majority of the war... I would run, seeing several hundred guys in their birthday suit...

I would LOVE to hunt the Western Theater. I am trying to find out more about the Civil War history of my area. I guess I live in "The Western Theater". The bullets found are just so strange, and friggin' huge...they're just awesome! But then again, I am a bullet nut, so I'll keep digging what's lead! Even those three ringers, ya gotta love em'!

Oh I do love each one I recover + bullets are really the only Civil War Relic that can be 'fairly' easy to find (out-side of water I suppose) these days , I am also a "Bullet " Guy .
Good Eve.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One word, Whitworth.

DSC_0058.jpg

I think my dad only dug one.

P.S., from left to right, Fired Enfield, CS Salvaged lead, Selma arsenal .58 Cal. fired from a .54 Ca. carbine and the Witworth.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1714705

I think my dad only dug one.

P.S., from left to right, Fired Enfield, CS Salvaged lead, Selma arsenal .58 Cal. fired from a .54 Ca. carbine and the Witworth.

If the long 'slick' is 45 cal IMHO it's most likely a Whitworth , the cavity should tell for sure.

Be aware TT's A HBOCWB&C states 'watch out for .45-70 Sharps that date 1876-1880's' " dished base with dot in the center". Then again you never know.
Great picture.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the long 'slick' is 45 cal IMHO it's most likely a Whitworth , the cavity should tell for sure.

Be aware TT's A HBOCWB&C states 'watch out for .45-70 Sharps that date 1876-1880's' " dished base with dot in the center". Then again you never know.
Great picture.

Hey RustyRelics

JIC
I'm not trying to make you look dumb or nothing I just like to see people learn.

I'm no expert , in the last 10 years I have been told by Seasond Relic hunters that my bullets & a few other relics were what they were not , even TheCannonBallGuy once confirmed one of my suspicions .

Also FWIW I ran into an 75+ y/o man while at my coin store , I complemented on his 'Replica GA. belt buckle , found out he was an old local digger , He told me about his Oval CSA Plate (like the one in this thread , I'm pretty sure), that he had it confirmed by plate expert Steve, M. 'As usual it was dug in my county' years ago.

He also stated that he had only found a few Whitworth Drops , but they all have the dished base & he was having trouble I'ding them to other ones of that type , he knew his relics , way more than me imo .

I 'suspect' that he may have dug the 'Sharps' type BUT I have never dug a 45-70 in that area or anywhere.???

Just wanted to say I'm not being a dingy . lol
GD

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Davers, do you have any examples of a Smith carbine bullet? I have the gun and a modern mold but I’ve always been curious to know what an original round looks like. I’m told by the old timers in VA they have a distinct point, 2 rings and weigh in at about 365 grains.
Thanks

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, do you have any examples of a Smith carbine bullet? I have the gun and a modern mold but I’ve always been curious to know what an original round looks like. I’m told by the old timers in VA they have a distinct point, 2 rings and weigh in at about 365 grains.
Thanks

Sorry Joe
I just seen your question , I have only dug a handful of Smith bullets , several in one spot , & 1 or 2 in other areas.

I don't have a good picture but I'm pretty sure that devildog posted some in 'Civil War' back a couple months ago , you may have seen that post if not , he got great pic's if I recall right.

Edit ..
It was not devildog or I could not find his post , there was another local member , (who seems to have disappeared) ??? Or I can not find him but I just went through 2 years of threads & his name (that I would recognize) I did not see ? It will come to me but now I hope he is well ?

I may refer you to my album , there may be Smith 'drops' there.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey RustyRelics

JIC
I'm not trying to make you look dumb or nothing I just like to see people learn.

I'm no expert , in the last 10 years I have been told by Seasond Relic hunters that my bullets & a few other relics were what they were not , even TheCannonBallGuy once confirmed one of my suspicions .

Also FWIW I ran into an 75+ y/o man while at my coin store , I complemented on his 'Replica GA. belt buckle , found out he was an old local digger , He told me about his Oval CSA Plate (like the one in this thread , I'm pretty sure), that he had it confirmed by plate expert Steve, M. 'As usual it was dug in my county' years ago.

He also stated that he had only found a few Whitworth Drops , but they all have the dished base & he was having trouble I'ding them to other ones of that type , he knew his relics , way more than me imo .

I 'suspect' that he may have dug the 'Sharps' type BUT I have never dug a 45-70 in that area or anywhere.???

Just wanted to say I'm not being a dingy . lol
GD

Oh I DO NOT mind at all! It helps me know what I really have, versus what I think I have,.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have several I belive to be Smiths. I'll post them up later.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Joe
I just seen your question , I have only dug a handful of Smith bullets , several in one spot , & 1 or 2 in other areas.

I don't have a good picture but I'm pretty sure that devildog posted some in 'Civil War' back a couple months ago , you may have seen that post if not , he got great pic's if I recall right.

OK JoeD

I found a couple pic's of my Smith rounds that I got 5 or more years ago but you have to go to my Album , 'My Adventures' is the title of the photo group , on page 2 ; picture # 41 shows a few but the pic, quality is not the best , esp being that , in "albums" you only have 2 views . 1 Regular , & 2 SUPER Large!.

Fret not I found a good picture of 1 by it's self , it's on page 3 (same album ) 24th picture down . I hope this helps & sorry I took so long to reply , one good thing is 'while searching' I got to see pic's of relics that I have not seen in person for many years , as they are packed away as I wait patiently for my relic room or display area to build it's self ,. lol
GD & Happy Independence Day , enjoy yr trip & good luck.
Davers
Edit ..
It was not devildog or I could not find his post , there was another local member , (who seems to have disappeared) ??? Or I can not find him but I just went through 2 years of threads & his name (that I would recognize) I did not see ? It will come to me but now I hope he is well ?

I may refer you to my album , there may be Smith 'drops' there.

Says message is to short , ill try again.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill try again.

OK
Joe
I found some 'Smith Pictures' in my Album , They are Both in the same album name " My Adventures " Starting at page 2 ; Pic, 41 shows a few but the "SUPER BLOWN UP PIC" is not the best , but fret not on page 3 , 24th picture down there is a great shot of a single Smith I dug 5 + years ago.

Hope it helps & again sorry it took so long for my reply also it was fun looking at relics I dug years ago but have not laid eyes on in years .

Have a great Independence Day & enjoy yr trip to (whenever you go and Best of luck while there.
Peace Davers.....Out! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread