Six Cannon Balls Found In Farm Field, Southern Illinois

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys: Do any of you know the sizes of Civil War Cannon Balls? Im asking this Because ,,,Being the curious person I am,, Several years back I was working on A Riding Mower for the Lady that I rented a house from,she was rather wealthy, Owned a farm that had been in her Family for over 100 years,, I knew this because of a Sign that was in her front yard which said something about it,
While working on the mower I went into the Shed, for some tools,, there on a Shelf covered with rust & Dust were these 5 Steel balls,, I thought maybe they were giant ball Bearings,being about 4" to 5" In Diameter,& I couldn't believe how heavy they were,yes I picked one up, after fixing the Mower,, I ask her about them,,She said That Back Years ago Her Grandfather was Clearing some Land & found them in the field behind the house, she pointed to a Pecan grove where they came from,she said that she thought they were from the civil war,but didn't know for sure,, they had been checked by someone & they were for sure Cannon Balls, She was a older lady,83 at the time, she then told me to come inside,, & told me to go into the den & take a look at one that had been cleaned & mounted,,there on the Desk was a Cannonball the same size around 4" to 5" which had been mounted with a tag saying found by so & so,,the year,,& found in union County Illinois,, Also while I was there She showed me some of the Prettiest arrowheads Ive ever seen that came from a mounded area in the same field,, would these Cannon Balls be from the Civil War Or maybe from a Earlier time?? I don't have a Clue how anyone would know? These Cannonballs Came from a Field in Wolf Lake Illinois, along Route 3 , It is rather close to the river but not real close, Id say this spot is probably a mile from the mississippi river, Is just North Of Cape Girardeau Mo., on the Illinois Side of the river,,,How far would a Cannon shoot from a Ironclad on the Mississippi? Maybe there was a battle in this field?
Les

Upvote 0

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
well get permission search the heck out of that area for everthing,lol

Attachments

• IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 509

WW1jager

Greenie
Aug 19, 2007
They sound like they may be 12 pounders ( with a diameter of 4 to 5 in ) , a 12 pounder should have a diameter of 4.50 inches.I found what I thought was a 12 pounder but it was too small (4 3/16”) and it look like it may be a ore crusher ball, good luck . I have read some where that a 12 pounder had a approx max. range of about 1,600 + yards. I would call a 12 pounder a field type gun, I think that a navy ship would have larger guns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread