How to Find Civil War Sites

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Obscure references in old diaries are your best clues to campsites. Your number one tool is the oldest map you can find of the area you are searching. That's the biggest help of all. Then you can search crossroads, river/creek crossings and any place along them that appears suitable for camps. Most camps are really close to the original roads, but winter camps can be a little farther off. One I've hunted years was about an 1/8th a mile from the main road. You might luck up on some not listed in any book, as most are not written about. Also don't discount old timers. I found a 1700's virgin fort based on an old timer's tale and that same old timer mentioned where a Confederate winter camp is and I've never gotten a chance to search that place as of yet. He's no longer living now either, so I may be the only one with that information. Oh...he's also the one that first knew about the other Winter camp I mentioned and told another person about it that first relic hunted that one in 1979(not me cause I was in diapers.lol) That person found literally thousands of bullets and buttons and probably anything else you can name(An interesting side note with this winter camp is that the Hatfield's and McCoy's, most of them from the feud later, actually encamped at this site together as Confederate soldiers before they hated each other.) That's my ultimate personal lifetime goal to locate a virgin Confederate winter camp. I know of at least five from diaries within a half hour to hours drive of me, but so far I haven't found any virgin winter camps(however I am about 99.9 certain where one is,but unfortunately the landowner won't allow relic hunting.)

Last edited:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think Worm-Slicer hit the nail on the head! Maybe get a hold of a local club as well,even check in the NC section of states at the bottom of the main Forum.Best of luck to ya :icon_thumright:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of research , walking , scouting & testing certain spots.

GL

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have researched old maps of areas that I am interested in and tried to superimpose them on to new maps. This helps, but in no way is it totally accurate as the old maps I have found online were pictures of hand drawn maps from the period. As it happens, where I hunt is along a known CW utilized road and there is a church nearby that was used as a hospital during a skirmish. Some of these old maps have put us on some really neat stuff, but some of the areas are so overgrown that the swinging is brutal some times. (I hate black briars)

Also, if you find an area of interest, make sure you get permission to hunt the land. Some folks get pretty testy if you do not. While talking to them ask if they know of any CW activity in the area. Some folks have a lot of knowledge about their area and could be quite helpful in getting a good idea where to start. I have been very fortunate to meet some awesome knowledgeable folks in that regard.

I hope you find a good spot to hit. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread