54 caliber brass cartridge

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20200123_145027.jpg
This the third cw piece I found in a yard while looking for the spanish american war camp.
This cartridge has a dent in the center of the base where a firing pin or hammer hit it. Maybe someone will know what type of rifle it was based on the info.

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still struggling with the cartridge. Went to gun store to ask them. They said go the the brother gun store and ask them. 20 miles away. I will get there and will not give up.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no expert on these buddy. Take more pictures with a ruler for length. Some one will identify them buddy.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cartridge a couple of years ago at a documented Indian/Army battle site. I was told it is a 50-70 cartridge with a benet primer. Here's some pictures and info about the primer.
002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG benet_primed.gif

BENET-PRIMED - A common style of inside-primed car-tridge developed by Col. S.V Benet commander of Frankford Arsenal in the late 1860s. It was used extensively in early U.S. military ammunition. A copper or iron cup was secured inside the head of the case by characteristic crimps. This cup served as an anvil to enable the firing pin to activate the priming mixture and also to reinforce the head of the case.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mr Parmer has suggested is to be a late war cal Ballard type.. He owned the big cw museum in Decatur Al until last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread