Likely RR related, but thought I would ask to be sure.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

This morning I went back to the site where I found the 12 pound Confederate shell. I didn't find any good non ferrous targets but did get a few interesting iron objects. I found a few tools and what I'm pretty sure is an old style railroad coupling pin from the 1800's.

My question is, did the artillerymen carry any wrenches or files as part of their tool kit? It's more likely they are railroad related, and I'll keep them regardless, but thought I would ask to see if any of them may be CW related.

The wrench is approximately 9.75" long. The small triangular file is 5" long. Any ideas what the thing may be in between the RR spike and the wrench? The shorter end is pointed.

Left to Right.

Railroad spike. (I kept it because I think it's one of the smaller ones used in the 1800's.)
Unknown item
Wrench
Wedge
RR coupling pin?
Top - knife blade
bottom - small triangular file?

Thanks for looking. And I did do a google search on the wrench and could find no mention that CW artillary had them as standard equipment. So it's probably just RR related, which is still kinda cool.

EDITED TO ADD. Based on research and info from another forum, I don't believe any of this is CW related. :unhappysmiley:

EOyCB78.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GCHAPMAN64

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2019
Southwest Ga
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Railroad related for sure. Really cool though. I have spent some time in the North Ga mountains looking for old mining railroads, never know what you're going to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread