RabidCaveman

Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900
Bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any of you know where I can find routes that the Army of Tennessee took in Lawrence county Tennessee? I know there were a few skirmishes here, but I was told of another route that the Army of Tennessee took. There is an official plaque dedicated to this supposed route right by the old Waynesboro highway. I have found a metal wagon wheel band and what appears to be some tempered steel (possibly a knife or broke sabre) in my quest to find this route Also like to mention they were ground/creek finds. Any help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe there was a camp and skirmish in Lawrenceburg, and one in Summertown. Don't know if that fits into your search or not.

OP
OP
R

RabidCaveman

Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900
Bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you know where the camp was located? I know the blue boys almost burned our courthouse but didn't because of the Mexican war monument would have been damaged and there was a skirmish at Sugar Creek at the South end of the county. I've looked at the oldest topography map I could find (1936) and it shows houses and roads that aren't there anymore and align with the route I've been told about. I've found a few items that give me the feeling I'm on the right track.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Somewhere along Shoal Creek is all I know.

OP
OP
R

RabidCaveman

Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900
Bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay. Thanks! Do you have a source for that information? The route in question is along another creek (knob) that joins Shoal Creek.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck on your quest .

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an idea , I have found that the USGS has back dated maps for sale , I was able to locate 2 for an area here in GA I believe they were 1870's You might want to check them out Good Luck-------------------------------------- Another thought would be to find a book concerning the Army of TN or a Grant/Sherman book about the march since some have hand drawn maps or info on camp locations

Last edited:

Akb082317

Aug 10, 2020
PA
Detector(s) used
Anfibio multi
Simplex +
Ctx-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search the records here you will have to dig, there is real correspondence from officers to other officers and headquarters. You will find something if you read through the information. Good Luck hope your search results into something worthwhile.
http://https://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread