Small cannon ball or large grape shot?

W

WDPenderLivesOn

Sorry I don't have a pic. First off these were not found relic hunting they were stumbled upon. We were bulldozing some land about a mile away from the Tar River here in NC and found 3 of these in the mounds of dirt we pushed up. The diameter is about 3.20" which would be very large to be a grape shot. I won't know how much this thing actually weighs until I put it on a scale at work tomorrow, but an educated guess of anywhere from 4-6lbs. The closest thing I could find to it on a civil war artillery site was a 6lb solid shot. The problem there is the diameter is 3.57" for that .37 more than what I have. Can anyone help? ???

Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi from Tennessee. I recently dug 6 of those from a large U.S. site. I weighed one this am and mine weighed 4.35# and is solid shot. The artillery book says they are grape shot for a 42# cannon-9 balls per stand. Mine actually weighed more than the 4.2# in the book probably due to rust. Hope this helps. I also dug one grapeshot for a 24# grapeshot load and 69 1.25 in. canister balls. I am NOT a CW artillery expert. HH, Q.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi from Tennessee. I recently dug 6 of those from a large U.S. site. I weighed one this am and mine weighed 4.35# and is solid shot. The artillery book says they are grape shot for a 42# cannon-9 balls per stand. Mine actually weighed more than the 4.2# in the book probably due to rust. Hope this helps. I also dug one grapeshot for a 24# grapeshot load and 69 1.25 in. canister balls. I am NOT a CW artillery expert. HH, Q.

Great informative reply Quindy but you reckon the OP still cares.

It still a great reply.
Thanks
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread