OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
It can do that :o Well it hasnt so far :D I only apply enough to make it shiny and create a barrier though. Sometimes i apply a second coat though ::)

Rudy(CA)

Sep 24, 2004
There are preservative waxes you can buy. In a pinch and for something of little value,
you can use candle wax. Just rub it on the item.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I have tried andle wax and some other waxes but they just dont seem to work as tehy are too thick and pasty. But i did find that crisco doesnt go bad, I dug out some iron things that i had used it on last summer and they seem to have stayed in good condtion and the crisco didnt go rancid :D

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
not sure, I have tried alot of stuff and found its all too thick and leaves the metal looking crappy :-\ What exactly is linseed oli, i forget ???

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

nice artifacts.

For some reason I love those porcelain canning lids.

Good cleaning job.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
All my jar lids came form one dump site, Ill post some of them sometime. Btw-does anyone know what this thingy is? I circled it.

Attachments

• ironstuff2edited.JPG
    ironstuff2edited.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 355
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Heres a few pics of some stuff. The first one is my area i clean finds in(I soak em in water untill i can get around to preserving them. The next pic is a strap hinge from an old barn that i am cleaning, the next pic is of my collection of porcelain lined jar lids and stuff, heres a few iv got so far: Consolidated Fruit Jar Co. Boyd's Genuine Porcelain Lined A.C. Smalley & Co Boston & New York The Hero Glass Works Philadelphia Pa and a few others.... The next pic is a mini jar lid.

Attachments

• minilid.JPG
    minilid.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Jarlidcollection.JPG
    Jarlidcollection.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 360
  • straphingecleaning.JPG
    straphingecleaning.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 351
  • Cleaningarea.JPG
    Cleaningarea.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 357
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
And heres a Victorian-Era Soapdish that is broken.

Attachments

• soapdishmaybe.JPG
    soapdishmaybe.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 345

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well, I researched linseed oil and discovered it's great for wood, cheap, and can spontaneous combust! Store rags soaked in it in a can UNDER WATER. http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inflin.shtm

So much for that stuff! Doesn't mention metals, so I would say forget it.

I like the soap dish. Do you suppose you could sand down the edges where it's broken and put it back in use? Still has a rather nice shape. Or is that considered a no-no ???

Noodle

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Its actaully not that sharp, because its made of milkglass and has been worn down from being in the ground.
I use it to put my cleaned coins on next to the sink when i get back from detecting ;D

jlewisk

Apr 4, 2005
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Whites MXT
After you clean your iron items and you've applied the crisco. If they are small items that will fit in your oven, turn the oven up to 400 degrees and let it set for about 30 minutes. This will let the crisco get into the pores of the iron. This is how I season my cast iron cookware. You will not have to worry about it rusting.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Never thoguht of cooking it, but i do leave it in the sun for a day or two and keep applying new coats till its done, i guess i was doing a slower form or cooking it ;D

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Heres the strap hinge, its finnaly done being preserved.

Attachments

• StrapHinge.JPG
    StrapHinge.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 299
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Speaking of hinges here is another one from the 1950's with the lock stil attached. The strap hinge above is from the 1800's.

Attachments

• Hingewithlock.JPG
    Hingewithlock.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 293
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for the advice conservator :) I think I should make some form of electrolysis machine.... But being 15 and broke i think it may be kinda tough, is there an easy way to make an electrolysis machine from say, household materials and such? I know of the one floater made, but i find some pretty large iron relics and i dont think a coffee container would handle it :-\ I have some kiwi shoe polish but ill have to buy some of the other stuff. Thanks once again conservator, you are a great help on this site :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread