Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow Treasure Hunters,
I hunt in the mountains and valleys of S. Korea. This last Saturday I found a first: a complete, readable iron coin. (I think
that I have found a few others, but they were always what was left after the weather and soil conditions took their toll.
So, how do I gently, gently clean this coin to preserve it? :icon_scratch: :help: I would appreciate any answers back, especially from those who have found an iron coin and have done preservation work on it.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Oh, it is an iron holed coin, dating from 1700's to late 1800's. Not exactly sure of the date, but in that time frame.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Does the coin look like this?

Attachments

• Kuan Ei Tsu Ho.jpg
    Kuan Ei Tsu Ho.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 352
OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins4Cheese said:
Does the coin look like this?
Hello, and thanks for replying. I see you live in Japan.
The coin looks like that, i.e. it has the same characters on it. But, it is completely blackened, from rust. I have found
many many of the brass/copper coins of Japan. This coin is different in color. And some of the outside has flaked off,
which the brass/copper coins never do.
Where in Japan do you live, if I may ask? Do you do any metal detecting there?
Hope we can keep up this correspondence a while, as I have some questions to ask, and maybe some hints on where
to hunt, based on where I hunt here in S. Korea
Again, thanks for your interest.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Well, I live in the Kanto Plains area. I mainly hunt on the beach, but sometimes I hunt on the dirt. I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, and it works great!
If you found that coin in the dirt, than get some hydrogen peroxide, put it in the microave untill it starts boiling, and place the coin in that. It should make the dirt come right off.

The coin that you found is called Kuan Ei Tsu Ho. It was cast in 1626 and continued to be issued till the sixth year of Ansen, 1859, or for some 230 years. The first coins were made in the province of Mito, an ancient centre for classical learning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread