How Do I Clean An Aluminum Token?

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
Zeb there is also another product that cleans aluminum real well and it's called orange blast
there's different types, get the one for wheels also it's way cheaper than dmso.

HH Mark

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
the orange blast is, i bought a bottle at big lots discount store for less than 3 bucks,it's also
sold in auto parts stores, i sprayed the wheels on my truck with it and when i rinsed it off they looked better than new,good luck!

HH Mark

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
you should be able to get Noxon7 metal polish at a stop&shop or soemthing, it works great on alot of metals including brass, copper, aluminum, bronze, etc...

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Orange blast huh?thanks,sold.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you what not to use! Electrolysis! I dissolved an aluminum token overnight by trying that! :'( Monty

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Electrolysis was once used extensively for the cleaning of ancient bronze coins but has been abandoned now by most conservators. It's vary harsh and can do a great deal of damage to any coin.

I have in my collection of photos, pictures of what electrolysis can do to shipwreck artifacts. One picture shows what is left of a Silver Rider coin from the Flying Heart after an electrolysis treatment (ashes). The Mel Fisher group used it in the 80's but now I'm sure they know better.

I know about cleaning bronze and silver (love silver) but aluminum is a whole new field for me.

I'm guessing that soap and water plus maybe some very mild rubbing compound is the answer.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to scrape a lot of oxidation off of an old aluminum token with a wooden toothpick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread