First Time Post - Advise on Cleaning a 1786 New Jersey Copper -

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings - My first post!

I'm looking for some helpful advice on this 1786 New Jersey copper that I found back in May. It had been sitting in mineral oil for the past three months until last night when I closely examined the coin's surface. The obverse side with the horse head is in wonderful shape for being found in Southern New England; soil here is tough on copper coins. Plowed fields are brutal on copper coins, but I dug this Jersey Copper from a tavern site in the woods. The coins reverse has bonded with some dirt and likely has relatively mild corrosion. I only lightly brushed the coin's back side and some dirt came off with little or no loss of detail.

What should I do? Try cleaning it further or leave it alone? What do you think? Please reply - that way, if it comes out awful, I'll have others to blame along with me (just joking).

Seriously, I know that if I clean it further, I may loose some detail. If it goes really bad, I could loose some patina and surfacing. Use a oiled tooth pick, pencil eraser, tooth brush? I've read all about the warnings in regards to cleaning coins, and I'm somewhat skeptical. I'll take a well-done cleaned coins over an untreated ugly coin without eye appeal. Eye appeal is very important in a nice, old coin.

I want to make the right move on this find. It's a fairly valuable and rare variety of a 1786 New Jerser Coppper. Colonial and Early American Coins by Bowers list this coin as a Maris 17-J Variety with a rarity scale of URS-8 - estimated at 65 to 124 known specimens. He values this variety as follows: Fine - $1000, Very Fine - $3000, E.Fine - $5000. The attached scan for the coin's pricing is possibly to small-sorry!

P1010120.JPG

P1010121.JPG

P1010095.JPG

CCF07032012_00000.jpg

Thanks for looking and any input that can be provided.

Good Hunting,

The Silver Tree Chaser

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advise on cleaning something that old is "DON'T". Its worth more with the dirt still attached. And that coin doesn't look all that dirty to me anyways. If you must have it cleaned have it done by a professional.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As he said, leave it as it is now. It is as beautiful as it can get. If you polished it, it would actually go down in price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread