Nov 26, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Warning to all using electrolysis DON'T use stanless steel

I've seen a lot of people talking about using stainless steel for their sacrificial anode. Although it will work in the process very well it can be dangers.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use stainless electrodes; they make some very nasty hazmat called Hexavent Chromium that is POISONOUS and will give you nasty diseases, and it is absorbed through your skin.

The best choice would be carbon as the rust will not stick to it, so it will not require cleaning. Second choice would be sheet steel, like an electrical box cover. Mild steel and iron will work, but will need cleaning more often.

I hope this is helpful.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO If you do use stainless 1; Don't use heated water..2: always wear gloves {latex or plastic disposable types ] when handling freshly worked relics .3 ,NEVER breathe in any dust stirred up through evaporation of your mixture or drippings off your relics. As I understand it HEAT causes the stainless to put off the toxin. ALWAYS research your methods. ALL MY OPINION.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a lot of people talking about using stainless steel for their sacrificial anode. Although it will work in the process very well it can be dangers.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use stainless electrodes; they make some very nasty hazmat called Hexavent Chromium that is POISONOUS and will give you nasty diseases, and it is absorbed through your skin.

The best choice would be carbon as the rust will not stick to it, so it will not require cleaning. Second choice would be sheet steel, like an electrical box cover. Mild steel and iron will work, but will need cleaning more often.

I hope this is helpful.

you have to use a more noble metal than the object being cleaned. using carbon would be a waste of time...... steel and especially iron wont work in many cercumstances.

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never was afraid of electrocution, neither was I too concerned about poisonous gases, but Hexavent Chromium sounds scarey! :skullflag:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if your careful, the bad thing is you have to dispose of the water, pour it on the ground, and it's in the ground water, pour it down the sewer, and into the lakes, I say don't use it, not for your health, but of others who might have a well near by...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PROCEED WITH CAUTION !

Almost every product made these days (Even food) is full of Dangerous Man made Chemicals .
( Most also Known In the State Of California To Cause Cancer).

So as I said Proceed With Caution

(Typed with a Cigarette in hand)-(I know Dumb Da Dumb Dumb, Dumb....)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread