Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
just knock the crud off,don't try to restore original shine.The beauty is the aged patina.

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thanks for the reply sapona, there's no crud on them they were in a box in my grandparents basement. I'll get some pics up tomorrow great selection of old assorted buttons

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
oh man dont scare me like that...best thing is to really never clean anything.Thats if your going to sell.In my case I clean all my buttons lightly to get detail,or I dont bother at all,it just damages them.If your good you can pick the crud witha needle and it comes of flaking great.Dont try this If you already rubbed the dirt off witht your finger or a tooth brush.It's a technique that takes a while to master,becasue on soil that is acidic it eats away the button and just touching the face of it will disinegrate the button,eben at times when the button air dries it will do this.
Depending on if you find confederate buttons or scarce buttons dont clean them.As in my case Ive found hundreds of plain general service eagle buttons,and I used to clean them,now I just leave em be.If your buttons seem to be fragile soak them in olive oil just like with coins.yeah you might get a shiny gloss to it,but it puts moisture back in the button and preserves it.Best of luck dude,and what kind of buttons where they?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread