Cleaning Coins from clay staining

Gatorinsc

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2007
Sumter, SC
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
I'm a newbie to this forum but not to metal detecting, having joined the hobby in my mid teens in North Florida using a cheap Radio Shack metal detector. Now I'm in my forties, live in the Midlands of South Carolina, and use an improved Radio Shack detector but have noticed a problem with the coins I find here in this state that I did not have in Florida.

Due to the clay content in the soil here, the coins I find tend to be very darkly stained, especially when I find the zinc clad coins of recent mintage. Nickels, dimes, quarters - all have the same dark stains on them once the dirt is rinsed from them. I do not have any pics of them but does anyone else has the same problem with coins being so stained by the clay. I would also like to know what I could use - short of acid - to clean them with to make them more viewable. I understand ammonia is used on some coins. Maybe I should try some and see if it works or is there something else that someone recommends? Or maybe Peroxide or salt and vinegar? I'm sure many people here in the Southeast have the same problem with the coins and other relics being found in a high clay content soil and thus they are stained by the either acidic or alkaline content of the soil (I not sure of which in clay) as well as sometimes being crusted in rust and dirt.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions