Tumbling clad coins Lemon Juice only 30-45 Minutes !

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently lots of folks are still using gravel and mixtures of dish soap,vinegar clr , and other mixes and running their tumblers for hours. Try the lemon juice alone ,enough to just cover your coins its available at the 99 cent stores. I read it on here some where and was very skeptical because I too ran my tumbler for hours. When I found enough beach coins to runa batch I gave it a try its amazing just the lemon juice alone I ran the clad then used the same juice for my pennies a few stubborn clad coins were still black(but plenty clean enough for spending or coin machines) but the majority were clean after 30 minutes . So who ever recommended it originally Thanks! it was inside another thread so I thought I'd pass along my results. Jim

P.S. I forgot the table salt I used Three tablespoons for about 4-5 ounces of lemon juice so thread should read Lemon juice and salt only
no I didn't take pics : )

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.
I've "tumbled" alot of dug clad. Most of which, Coinstar rejected. I will surely try this.
Thanks
Peace

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had just finished running two loads of clad in my tumblers, when I read your post. I used aquarium gravel and dish soap. I wasn't real impressed.
I loaded both barrels back up and put lemon juice and salt in the drums. Thirty-five minutes later I checked them and WOW!! Very impressive!! Great cleaner and very little clean up!! Thanks for the great tip SocalJim!! :thumbsup:
Apparently lots of folks are still using gravel and mixtures of dish soap,vinegar clr , and other mixes and running their tumblers for hours. Try the lemon juice alone ,enough to just cover your coins its available at the 99 cent stores. I read it on here some where and was very skeptical because I too ran my tumbler for hours. When I found enough beach coins to runa batch I gave it a try its amazing just the lemon juice alone I ran the clad then used the same juice for my pennies a few stubborn clad coins were still black(but plenty clean enough for spending or coin machines) but the majority were clean after 30 minutes . So who ever recommended it originally Thanks! it was inside another thread so I thought I'd pass along my results. Jim

P.S. I forgot the table salt I used Three tablespoons for about 4-5 ounces of lemon juice so thread should read Lemon juice and salt only

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had just finished running two loads of clad in my tumblers, when I read your post. I used aquarium gravel and dish soap. I wasn't real impressed.
I loaded both barrels back up and put lemon juice and salt in the drums. Thirty-five minutes later I checked them and WOW!! Very impressive!! Great cleaner and very little clean up!! Thanks for the great tip SocalJim!! :thumbsup:

Ive done the gravel too....just more crap to clean up...Using something like this makes it much easier..I just use water and a little oil ..so my metal on the tumbler doesn't corrode

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 tablespoons of lemon juice and one teaspoon of salt in a small container works well on minor corroded steel pennies, too. Let them soak 10 to 15 minutes and clean with a stiff bristled nylon brush, rinse with water and dry with white terrycloth..........
Monitor the soaking coins, though........it could take off some of the remaining zinc coating originally used to reduce the corrosion.............

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm going to give this a try tonight thanks :thumbsup:

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to give this mixture a try. What is the lemon juice / salt ratio?
Thanks
Inch

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......and if i would read i would know the answer to my question. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread