Cannonball

TheRelicDoctor

Oct 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Minelab GPX 4500, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I recently ran a cannonball through electrolysis and treated it with hot wax. It's been about a month and there is a white substance that keeps forming on the exterior. Not sure if it's the wax or if the iron is somehow exposed to the air. It whipes off with a little rubbing but forms again serveral days later. Any thoughts? I was thinking that maybe I should re-cook it when I put in my next batch of iron relics. Any similar experiences with the hot wax treatment? None of my other iron has ever done this
-Relic Doctor

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have no real idea, but it sounds like the wax might be lifting off the ball? Pictures might be more telling though. Let us know what you figure out.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed the same thing on some of my iron. I do a LOT of electrolysis and also do a LOT of hot wax boiling. Its almost like a white fur. It only happens on SOME of my iron pieces and they are generally the thicker pieces like an axe head, hoe blade, etc. Since your cannon ball is thick, perhaps its the same thing.

I believe its because I didn't properly boil them long enough in the wax. What I think it is, is some of the salts or moisture from the electrolysis solution leaching out of the iron in those spots and crystallizing on the surface.

I boil my iron in hot wax on an old Coleman stove outside. I boil it until the moisture stops bubbling out. With the larger pieces of iron this seems to take a while and I have sometimes just taken them out of the wax after 5-10 minutes or so. Recently I started to bring it to a boil, turn it off and let it sit for 10 min, then bring it back to a boil and repeat. This seems to get the moisture out of the artifact better.

I'd definitely give them another boil and let them sit in the wax at boiling temperatures for longer. I have a few pieces I have been meaning to put back in with another batch too, but if my theory is correct on what the white stuff is, then another boil in the wax should fix it.

IMG_20151103_094755.jpg

OP
OP
TheRelicDoctor

TheRelicDoctor

Oct 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your theory is right along the lines of what I've been thinking. Thanks much for your input! I'll give it another boil when I have time, don't think it's too urgent. Funny thing is I use a old Coleman stove too :laughing7:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your theory is right along the lines of what I've been thinking. Thanks much for your input! I'll give it another boil when I have time, don't think it's too urgent. Funny thing is I use a old Coleman stove too :laughing7:

Well I'm glad I'm not alone in dealing with boiling hot wax on an old Coleman camp stove! ha I picked my old Coleman stove up at a flea market for $15 and couldn't get the $ out of my pocket fast enough. I came to this section of the forum today to post some modifications to my electrolysis setup and saw your thread. I'm "glad" that someone had a similar issue so hopefully we can figure out what resolves it. Hopefully another wax boil will clear it all up.

OP
OP
TheRelicDoctor

TheRelicDoctor

Oct 16, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm glad I'm not alone in dealing with boiling hot wax on an old Coleman camp stove! ha I picked my old Coleman stove up at a flea market for $15 and couldn't get the $ out of my pocket fast enough. I came to this section of the forum today to post some modifications to my electrolysis setup and saw your thread. I'm "glad" that someone had a similar issue so hopefully we can figure out what resolves it. Hopefully another wax boil will clear it all up.

I'll update the thread if I find out anything else!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread