Hey eveyone! I need some help with these (colonial?) relics.

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So First is this large button with a beautiful floral design on it that I found at the old button factory. Sadly the back rusted off, but this front plate survived. I put it through electrolysis, and that definitely helped, but there is still some white residue and corrosion. What would be the best way to remove that?

Next is this big knife I found at a cellar hole. Surprisingly enough, it still had some of the wooden handle in tact. However, It wasn't much. Either way, Im still saving the original handle, but would it be a good idea to make a new handle to display the knife, or would keeping the original be best? Also, what would I put on the metal to seal/preserve it?

Lastly is this nice button I found at the same cellar hole. It has a flaky green residue on it. I'm not sure if that dirt buildup that I can wash off, or if it's part of a plating, in which I might want to leave it as is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2415[1].JPG IMG_2416[1].JPG IMG_2418[1].JPG IMG_2458[1].JPG IMG_2459[1].JPG IMG_2460[1].JPG

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a metal cleaner called brasso
Also, I will use a brass wire brush by hand (it's like a brass toothbrush)
Usually looks great without eliminating
The patina. Just don't overdo it.
Nice buttons

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the button you can use a toothpick to remove or use a dry toothbrush. I use a brass brush to clean mine. Also slap some Renaissance wax on it.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Thanks guys! So the green stuff is OK to remove then? (It's dirt and not an old plating?)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO
I'd most likely (not seeing them in person) leave the button as is .
& The knife is tuff for me maybe electrolysis on the blade but that still leaves some rust under the handle???

I realize these type buttons are pretty common in older sites but here in N GA I have dug only a handful of flat/ floral buttons & the thought of putting a Brass wire brush to them (Ahhhh The Horror). lol But Please do as u like.
Nice Finds
Davers

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont know much about the rest ,but i like the knife the way you found it. shows the true age.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO
I'd most likely (not seeing them in person) leave the button as is .
& The knife is tuff for me maybe electrolysis on the blade but that still leaves some rust under the handle???

I realize these type buttons are pretty common in older sites but here in N GA I have dug only a handful of flat/ floral buttons & the thought of putting a Brass wire brush to them (Ahhhh The Horror). lol But Please do as u like.
Nice Finds
Davers

Ehhhh, yeah I don't think I'll be putting a wire brush to it any time soon. Because honestly, I appreciate the patina more. I'll see what liquids/chemicals I can use to loosen the green corrosion. The knife I did just do electrolysis on, and turns out a lot of the blade was just rust! Very little of the handle remains in tact, so when I get around to it, I might make a replacement, but definitely will still keep the original!

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know much about the rest ,but i like the knife the way you found it. shows the true age.

I agree! The patina just shows the age and has that rusty gold look. I might try to make a handle though for display purposes, and show what was left or the original. Lol but that's if I ever find time too.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! The patina just shows the age and has that rusty gold look. I might try to make a handle though for display purposes, and show what was left or the original. Lol but that's if I ever find time too.

Other than digging the relics , finding time to clean & do all the repairs/ Restoring them in hard.
Maybe during the Frozen Ground time there in Mass, this Winter.

Enjoy your Independence Day & Weekend.
Davers

P.S. I'm Still trying to figure out a good way to preserve all the Wooden Sided Pocket Knives I have Dug.
Any Opinions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread