Republic of Texas Navy button cleaning. Possible candidate for restoration. ??

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug a rare Republic of Texas button the other day, and it was in pretty rough shape.
I cleaned it up enough to make an id, and once i realized what i had i was afraid to clean it any more.
Not sure what to do with it at this point. I think i am beginning to see a couple greenish oxidation spots on it, and im afraid if i dont do anything it might get worse.
Just dont want to take any chances with this one.
I am considering sending it off for a professional restoration or preservation, but im unsure who to use.
I did see a post where a guy just got back a confederate staff officers button back from Leonard Short, and the finished results looked phenomenal.
Only bad thing is that he had to wait over a year.
Also wondering if a professional restoration would hurt the value or historical significance, or is the value already pretty hurt due to the buttons condition.
Being new to restorations, i just dont know the pros and cons to having a restoration done.
Any suggestions on who to contact would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• P1140001.JPG
    P1140001.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 117
  • P1140002.JPG
    P1140002.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 94

sonofmitch

Apr 9, 2007
Lone Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro ,Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bone,
Did you ever get any response on a professional restorer for your Republic of Texas button? I don't see any comments.
Did you get it done? How long was the wait. What did it cost you? Who did it?
Mitch

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bone,
Did you ever get any response on a professional restorer for your Republic of Texas button? I don't see any comments.
Did you get it done? How long was the wait. What did it cost you? Who did it?
Mitch
HI Mitch. I contacted Leonard Short and he gave me a very nice and interesting response.
He said he could do it, but it would take a lot of work as the button has a lot of fine details.
I think his price was around $200.
He mentioned the pros and cons of having it done.
At the moment i am still on the fence about having the restoration done. So im keeping it in a rikers air-tite for now, and it seems to be stable.
I dont know much about other people that do restorations, but i have seen some of Leonards work, and i will say he does an excellent job.
Here is a link to see some of Leonards work.
Restoration Forum - Gallery Index

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this.
Man u got a ton of reply's lol.
As i said before "I did not recall what the button looked like 'Condition Wise' .

I look pretty good , a-lot better than others I have seen.
I'd likely leave it as-is. As details can be seen.
&
If a good opportunity comes up to have it Restored ....Do it.
Still your Choice.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just saw this. Man u got a ton of reply's lol. As i said before "I did not recall what the button looked like 'Condition Wise' . I look pretty good , a-lot better than others I have seen. I'd likely leave it as-is. As details can be seen. & If a good opportunity comes up to have it Restored ....Do it. Still your Choice.
Yeah, tons of replies. I think i will hold off for now. It seems to be pretty stable, and 200 dollars is a lot of money for me right now. Would loved to have gotten more feedback. Oh well. From what i have read, some people are totally against restorations, and others arent. Here are a few more pics with some different LED lighting.

Attachments

• P3090002.JPG
    P3090002.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 88
  • P3090004.JPG
    P3090004.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 86
  • P3090001.JPG
    P3090001.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 96
  • P3090003.JPG
    P3090003.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 89

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I'd do anything. I have seen some of those old buttons literally implode when you touch them. That metal is so thin after being in the ground, they can go poof very easily.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think I'd do anything. I have seen some of those old buttons literally implode when you touch them. That metal is so thin after being in the ground, they can go poof very easily.

Thanks Smokey. I think i am done cleaning it. Leonard mentioned that most of the buttons made in the 1830s had a high copper content, which made them more prone to deteriorating from ground action.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread